Red planeria in Cheeto algae

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bit of a red bug outbreak in my display. My thoughts are to take out all the torches individually and treat them with red sea dip X to remove the majority of the flatworms from The coral. This is where they seem to be bothering the tank the most in my torches. I was going to do flatworm exit on the Tank as well with a water change.

My question is, I have a very healthy refugee, running with all the pods that my flatworms would probably ever need. I don’t want to lose my various established keto algae, but was thinking of cleaning out the sump and its entirety as well.

Do I need to throw out all of my Chaeto and start over?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would consider it fish food/cleanup crew. You may be feeding too much - or - the food you're feeding is making it to the sump too quickly

OP
OP
707Nick

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see them in the sump

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used flat worm exit on my last tank and it went good then on my newier tank i got them again lol . i tried it in my newier tank and for some reason it killed my fox face i did the same thing as my other tank . i hope all goes well for you but i dont think all use it again . my next thing am going to try is getting a wrasse and hope for the best

OP
OP
707Nick

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would consider it fish food/cleanup crew. You may be feeding too much - or - the food you're feeding is making it to the sump too quickly
I feed so little it seems inhumane. With that said my fish are fat and happy less wanting more space to swim. Is it true these worms thrive in pods? If so I have LOTS.

Cleaned out the entire sump yesterday and rinsed the algae and detailed the skimmer. It was about a 30 gallon water change. Dosed microbactor 7 as well. The tank is about 120g volume water volume.

Today I’m going to treat each torch individually with RS dipX. Tomorrow flatworm exit, WC again, Ron x2 reactors with carbon.

OP
OP
707Nick

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also added a Large Female Leopard Wrasse and a yellow Cori’s wrasse, they just finished a 2 week QT.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats alot of freaking torxhes and other corals holy, how many corals in total?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough I had prazipro wipe red planaria out of my 14 gallon office tank.

MAH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red planaria infestation in my Caulerpa refugium. I did a freshwater dip of all my caulerpa and cleaned out the refugium tank, which seemed to knock them back substantially. Unfortunately several months later I found they were hiding under the mushrooms on my mushroom rocks, so they had simply set up residence somewhere else in the tank (I never saw them on the glass of my DT, even though there were so many on the mushroom rock). I'm not sure how true it is, but I've read in several places that they are only a problem when they get so many they cover up the actual coral. So you may have to treat your whole tank to truly get rid of them.

OP
OP
707Nick

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats alot of freaking torxhes and other corals holy, how many corals in total?
I lost track somehow they keep growing they all started as single heads.

OP
OP
707Nick

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red planaria infestation in my Caulerpa refugium. I did a freshwater dip of all my caulerpa and cleaned out the refugium tank, which seemed to knock them back substantially. Unfortunately several months later I found they were hiding under the mushrooms on my mushroom rocks, so they had simply set up residence somewhere else in the tank (I never saw them on the glass of my DT, even though there were so many on the mushroom rock). I'm not sure how true it is, but I've read in several places that they are only a problem when they get so many they cover up the actual coral. So you may have to treat your whole tank to truly get rid of them.
I did the whole tank treatment did a double dose of the flat worm exit. Started with single dose waited 45 min and the planeria was not dropping off the tank. Did the second dose about 15 min later they started dropping everywhere. Waited about an hour and did a 25% water change. I already set up both my reactors with carbon and have been running 24hours for past 2 days. My leaped wrasse seems to be picking off any free floaters and any on the ground. I don’t see any flat worms on my coral so I will be hoping for the best.

Thanks for all the input everyone and happy reefing.

Here’s a pick of our new leopard wrasse being a bit narcissistic after her meal
IMG_1425.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back