Red reed lobster safe to add?

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
1,443
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy handed me off this beautiful reef lobster, he is done with the hobby. This guy looks to be full grown over 6 inches. I have 3 tangs and a large wrasse. The tangs are maybe 3-4 inches all around and the wrasse is over 8 inches.
Would that be a mistake? I don’t want to see my purple tang get munced on. For now he’s in my sump.

853BECFB-045C-4D7E-899D-AD1BA901F21E.jpeg
 
They are not reef safe IME, I had one for 3 months before I ended up selling him a to a fellow hobbyist for a few different reasons. They will eat coral, mine loved to eat leather corals and I also lost some zoas during its stay. If you have starfish, be prepared for them to be eaten as well. My sandsifting starfish was consumed from the tip of its arms back towards its body that by the time I got rid of the lobster, over half of each arm had been eaten. The lobster I had also chased my yellow watchman goby out of the tank, when I found the goby the next morning on the floor it had pincer marks on its tail. It had chased the goby all over the tank and made it squeeze through a small gap in my screen lid where my powerhead cable comes into the tank.

These guys are opportunistic feeders and will go after anything it can get its claws on, so I would be careful with adding it to your tank. They look neat but not worth the headache in my opinion unless your fish are much bigger than the lobster and have a lot of space to hide at night.
 
They are not reef safe IME, I had one for 3 months before I ended up selling him a to a fellow hobbyist for a few different reasons. They will eat coral, mine loved to eat leather corals and I also lost some zoas during its stay. If you have starfish, be prepared for them to be eaten as well. My sandsifting starfish was consumed from the tip of its arms back towards its body that by the time I got rid of the lobster, over half of each arm had been eaten. The lobster I had also chased my yellow watchman goby out of the tank, when I found the goby the next morning on the floor it had pincer marks on its tail. It had chased the goby all over the tank and made it squeeze through a small gap in my screen lid where my powerhead cable comes into the tank.

These guys are opportunistic feeders and will go after anything it can get its claws on, so I would be careful with adding it to your tank. They look neat but not worth the headache in my opinion unless your fish are much bigger than the lobster and have a lot of space to hide at night.
Thanks for confirming my fears! I don’t think this guys a good fit for my tank right now. I don’t want to loose any corals. I have a clam and shrimps.
 
Thanks for confirming my fears! I don’t think this guys a good fit for my tank right now. I don’t want to loose any corals. I have a clam and shrimps.
I'm sorry that I've now put you in a situation where you have to figure out what to do with the little fella, but I also wanted to make sure nobody went through the same troubles I had. For what it's worth, he could probably live out the rest of his days in your sump just fine, I would just make sure that there's no way it can crawl out.
 
I have one in my 230g reef tank. No problems with him eating corals, but now that he's grown a little, he's a savage. Despite my large tank, adequate room, and large fish, he's taken out some big tank mates. It ate my melanarus wrasse, my other purple reef lobster, pink square anthias, and 2 huge sally light foot crabs. Ive had him a while with no problems but over the last new months he started eating everything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new