Red Ring Zoas Not Fully Opening, Reaching Upwards.

Nate Barber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, about a month ago I bought some red ring Zoas from tidal gardens (merry Christmas money :) ) I have two other types of Zoas in my 20g long (utter chaos, and ofc radioactive dragon eyes) and they are doing really well. Very colorful and open to the fullest. My red rings however, do not want to open all the way and seem to be reaching upwards. At first I thought it was them getting used to the light that was causing the half open polyps, but now they seem to be growing upwards. I've moved them from the top of the aquarium nearest the light (Current USA Orbit LED) to the bottom of the aquarium next to my dragon eyes. My Nitrates and Phosphates measure to about 5-10 ppm and 0-0.25 ppm respectively. Any help with these Zoas would be greatly appreciated! (PS, the camera makes the Zoas look more washed out than they are, but not by a whole lot)
20190129_163006.jpeg
20190129_163011.jpeg
20190129_163023.jpeg
20190129_163200.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those zoas expect for the ones at the top are stretching for light. The current USA lights aren’t that great at keeping coral but will support soft coral. I suggest just moving them higher

OP
OP
Nate Barber

Nate Barber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those zoas expect for the ones at the top are stretching for light. The current USA lights aren’t that great at keeping coral but will support soft coral. I suggest just moving them higher
That would explain the lack of fully open polyps as well I take?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back