Red Rooster Pygmy Waspfish

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got SUPER SUPER lucky with my LFS this past weekend, was looking at tanks and saw nearly nothing (not surprised given current state of the world). On my way out saw a plain sticker saying “waspfish $79.99” and assumed it was a big species of waspfish. I asked to look at it and low and belong they have flippin rooster red waspfish. They got 3 in during the start of winter and only sold 1 for the 6 months they have been at the store. I quickly reserved one and then learned they had two and got the second. The kicker is I believe I have a pair. One has very sharp dorsal spines and the other has more rounded spines, I believe I saw that that’s how you sex them. Anyone know if that’s true?

Here is what I believe to be the Male:
100489C4-F12E-4B6C-AC15-D710C86B8DB3.jpeg

Here is what I think could be a Female:
072B44A3-44B1-476D-8C08-E300E50BE307.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it right, that is a male and female. If they were not previously a bonded pair, there's no guarantee they will pair up. I have 3, 2 females and a male, in a 40b, they seem to be rather solitary. Check out my thread under their scientific name, Im on my phone and I dont know how to paste

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it right, that is a male and female. If they were not previously a bonded pair, there's no guarantee they will pair up. I have 3, 2 females and a male, in a 40b, they seem to be rather solitary. Check out my thread under their scientific name, Im on my phone and I dont know how to paste
Do you think I could have them get like a critter keep to out the female into the tank with the make so they get used to each other before I buy them and put them in the same tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand what you are asking. Read through my thread and you will understand alot about them. Trying to force bond a pair will likely not end badly, they will just have an indiffence towards each other. They will likely be fine in a rank at least 20g.

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand what you are asking. Read through my thread and you will understand alot about them. Trying to force bond a pair will likely not end badly, they will just have an indiffence towards each other. They will likely be fine in a rank at least 20g.
Put the female in the critter keep and the male keeps trying to get into the container with the female, idk if that’s a good thing or more territory based. It did seem like the female was trying to go next to the male too, maybe it is working. This is all still at the LFS. I am getting a few CUC orders in as my tank arrived (Unannounced yesterday as it was on backorder) and will probably try feeding the two fish after work.

09F2E262-D122-4BF1-BA00-1CD9770C8985.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send us a picture of the happy couple together at the wedding— if that’s the way things end up going! Best wishes :cool:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with my trio. I introduced all 3 into the tank, the male repeatedly and alternatively visited each female for the 1st few days. Eventually they each settled into their own territory. Mostly they all live alone, while occasionally I may see them hanging out alternatively. I witnessed some disputes mainly between the females, but these were very minor scuffles. It appears in the beginning the male may have been courting the 2 females, but both rejected him as a soul mate. Today it is more likely to see them singular than either paired up.

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with my trio. I introduced all 3 into the tank, the male repeatedly and alternatively visited each female for the 1st few days. Eventually they each settled into their own territory. Mostly they all live alone, while occasionally I may see them hanging out alternatively. I witnessed some disputes mainly between the females, but these were very minor scuffles. It appears in the beginning the male may have been courting the 2 females, but both rejected him as a soul mate. Today it is more likely to see them singular than either paired up.
Alright, I was just worried about them killing each other. Also saw a Medusa worm on the Kritter keeper rock so now I won’t be keeping that rock due to the potential nuke of a worm

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have these gotten on? I am putting together a fish list for a 20Cube and someone suggested one. Got me curious.
They were amazing, the male did choke on a bigger piece of aragonite and died. The female went back to the LFS as I wanted to get more shrimps and gobies and didn't want to risk her eating the othr fish

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are care requirements for these really want one but done know i could keep one or if they would survive in my tank. My stocking plan is a saddle Valentini puffer a pink streaked wrasse a starry blenny and a Hectors goby. Would it do well in a tank with those also any special care for them.

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely late to the party, do you have any information on where I may be able to find some sellers of these? They're so hard to find, been looking for over a month now.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely late to the party, do you have any information on where I may be able to find some sellers of these? They're so hard to find, been looking for over a month now.

Alot of people are looking for these, they have always been a rare find. You may stumble on them online and make sure you submit an alert to all that offer them. The best way to find them is to ask your lfs. Your lfs gets a list daily from their suppliers, and can order them when they show up. Give them the scientific and common name; Paracentropogon zonatus, aka pygmy red rooster waspfish and red bandtail waspfish.

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people are looking for these, they have always been a rare find. You may stumble on them online and make sure you submit an alert to all that offer them. The best way to find them is to ask your lfs. Your lfs gets a list daily from their suppliers, and can order them when they show up. Give them the scientific and common name; Paracentropogon zonatus, aka pygmy red rooster waspfish and red bandtail waspfish.
Much appreciated, any online websites I should look for? All my LFS haven't heard of them at all, or haven't sold them in years. Just thinking about how much the price of them has gone up. Do you have any information on breeding Indian Butterfly gobys?

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@YungSonTheSun I don't have any online sources I can recommend, but Divers Den has been known to get them.
Thanks for all the info. Do you have any idea on breeding conditions for the Pygmy Rooster Waspfish? I found someone who had one for sale just as recent as as yesterday so I may have a good fish shop that I can actively get these from. Now I'm going to cycle a reef tank, and get as much knowledge as I can on them, any personal experience helps a lot. First and only saltwater tank I'm going to have. If you have reddit that'd be easier for me unless you can dm me on here. Thanks again

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. Do you have any idea on breeding conditions for the Pygmy Rooster Waspfish? I found someone who had one for sale just as recent as as yesterday so I may have a good fish shop that I can actively get these from. Now I'm going to cycle a reef tank, and get as much knowledge as I can on them, any personal experience helps a lot. First and only saltwater tank I'm going to have. If you have reddit that'd be easier for me unless you can dm me on here. Thanks again

Don't get unrealistic ideas of breeding because some have managed to breed clownfish. Breeding marine fish is a complicated endeavor, do some research into how the big boys that offer captive bred fish actually do it. There have been a few here that fantasize about breeding other predatory fish, and that's all it will ever be.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back