Red Sea 300 (65g Display) Stock List For Future

Shadooooo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I recently purchased and got my tank up and running and currently have (2) clownfish in the tank following a fishless cycle. I spent a bit of time this weekend doing some "window shopping" / research into a potential stock list and would like some feedback into thoughts/potential concerns with the list or if you'd stock in a different order. Note - I am going to setup as a mixed reef at the end of the day.

For my fish - I have the below planned out - planning on adding fish two-ish weeks after the preceding group.

First fish - 2x Clownfish (will be alone in the tank for 2 weeks to observe any post partial cycle, continue to build the bio filter)

Next up:
1x Sand sifting Goby
1x Royal Gramma
(possibly may add a cleaner shrimp here as well)

Third:
2 or 3 Cardinal Fish

Fourth:
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x firefish (type TBD)

Fifth:
1x Midas Blenny
1x Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pair

Sixth:
1x Flame fin Tang

Seventh:
1x Flame Angelfish
1x Anthias

Eighth:
1x Aiptasia Eating Filefish
1x Six line Wrasse

I have some potential substitutes currently as the following: Kole Tang, Flasher Wrasse (McClosker), small group of Chromis (3)

I currently do not have a skimmer but will get one, but was curious when the recommendation would be in terms of total fish count/bio load

Additionally for cleanup crew thinking to build and end up with the following:

1 to 2 Cleaner Shrimp
15x assorted hermits
1x Emerald Crab
10x Nassarius Snail
20x Cerith Snail
10-15x Astrea Snails

Thanks so much!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip the aiptasia eating filefish (will go after your corals if no aiptasia present). I'd either go with a small group (3) of anthias or chromis as opposed to the one anthias. Also note they need constant feeding to keep them happy and out of trouble.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long nose hawk will take out shrimps in minutes.
The sand sifter needs a very rich mature sandbed.
I’d put the firefish before the gramma.
The six line is hit or miss, sometimes works, sometimes not.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and can share my stock list if you want. 65g means 50g with rock and only a 3' tank. I tried a small bristletooth tang early on and it was obvious the tank was to small for a fish that swims 150' of reef. He was stressed from day one and I removed him after a few weeks but he did not survive. Small colorful swimming fish are fine in the XL300 maybe 10 or 12 smaller size fish. My biggest fish is a coral beauty which has been fine for 1.5 years now.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fire fish and added him about the same as you plan to (fish # 7). There were no bigger fish in the tank. He went into hiding for about 2 weeks, spent a week in a crevice and the next week in another, where you could barely see him. It’s been about 2 months since I last saw him. I don’t have a lid, getting one soon, however have not found him anywhere outside the tank. I believe they do better in a small group, however with everything there are people who have success with just one.

Also, I recommend Trochus snails.

Good luck.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I recently purchased and got my tank up and running and currently have (2) clownfish in the tank following a fishless cycle. I spent a bit of time this weekend doing some "window shopping" / research into a potential stock list and would like some feedback into thoughts/potential concerns with the list or if you'd stock in a different order. Note - I am going to setup as a mixed reef at the end of the day.

For my fish - I have the below planned out - planning on adding fish two-ish weeks after the preceding group.

First fish - 2x Clownfish (will be alone in the tank for 2 weeks to observe any post partial cycle, continue to build the bio filter)

Next up:
1x Sand sifting Goby
1x Royal Gramma
(possibly may add a cleaner shrimp here as well)

Third:
2 or 3 Cardinal Fish

Fourth:
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x firefish (type TBD)

Fifth:
1x Midas Blenny
1x Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pair

Sixth:
1x Flame fin Tang

Seventh:
1x Flame Angelfish
1x Anthias

Eighth:
1x Aiptasia Eating Filefish
1x Six line Wrasse

I have some potential substitutes currently as the following: Kole Tang, Flasher Wrasse (McClosker), small group of Chromis (3)

I currently do not have a skimmer but will get one, but was curious when the recommendation would be in terms of total fish count/bio load

Additionally for cleanup crew thinking to build and end up with the following:

1 to 2 Cleaner Shrimp
15x assorted hermits
1x Emerald Crab
10x Nassarius Snail
20x Cerith Snail
10-15x Astrea Snails

Thanks so much!
For the cardinals, what kind? And I would add your firefish closer to the first. I did with my two and they are out way more than others report theirs being out and I think its cause I let them get comfortable first before adding bigger fish as they are pretty skitty and shy

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fire fish and added him about the same as you plan to (fish # 7). There were no bigger fish in the tank. He went into hiding for about 2 weeks, spent a week in a crevice and the next week in another, where you could barely see him. It’s been about 2 months since I last saw him. I don’t have a lid, getting one soon, however have not found him anywhere outside the tank. I believe they do better in a small group, however with everything there are people who have success with just one.

Also, I recommend Trochus snails.

Good luck.
Firefish dont like groups, they prefer to be alone or with a male/female pair, they tend to fight with their own kind after a while, I have a male/female and they are good together

Reefolution

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time the Aiptasia Eating Filefish will skip any aiptasia and just eat the tasty food.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely add the sand sifting goby later, you’ll want a relatively mature microfauna selection in the sand bed to establish first to keep him happy. Gobies can also be aggressive to other similar form gobies so having both watchman and sandsifting may be asking for trouble in that size tank. Also just generally, and I am far from the tank size police, that is a lot of fish for that tank. You can do it, but you have to stay on top of nutrient export aggressively especially if you plan to have any sensitive inverts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back