Red Sea 350 Reefer question from Newbie

MarkS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

This will be my first marine tank and I am planning on getting this tank. What I am needing help with is what additional equipment do I need to buy and any recommendations.

I live in NZ so may not have access to everything, plus any builds would be welcome to view.

TY in advance, Mark

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need:

Lights - LED or T5 choices and how many fixtures (for LEDs) will depend on what you intend to keep in terms of coral

Return pump - AC or DC is controllability important to you or just on/off? Things to consider are your budget, will you be running a manifold for reactors?

Protein skimmer - Again, budget will be a factor. Nyos, Reef Octopus, Bubble Magus are all good choices.

Reactors - will you be running carbon, GFO or biopellets?

Based on coral livestock, you may want to consider a dosing set up to to keep up with Alkalinity consumption to provide stability. You can go from a top of the line GHL 2.1 stand alone doser or the very budget friendly Jebao DP-4.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of Red Sea club threads and builds I would follow those and see what other people are doing that you can relate you. Some very high end and then everything else.

OP
OP
M

MarkS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Water Dog, thanks for the info but can you break it down for me a bit more and a short descriptor on what each bit does and maybe fits into the bigger picture?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as lights go, in order to make a good decision, it is important to know what you intend to keep in your tank as far as corals go.

Skimmers explained...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-is-a-protien-skimmer-and-what-types-are-commonly-used.48590/

Media reactors are essentially a container for forcing water efficiently through media for nutrient export. GFO (granulated ferric oxide) removes phosphate, carbon removes dissolved organic compounds (does a great job of clarifying the water too) and biopellets help grow and colonize bacteria which consume nitrates and phosphates.

Running a manifold allows you to use your return pump to run your reactors as opposed to using a separate pump for each reactor used. This is accomplished by teeing off the return line and plumbing it into your reactors controlling the flow to each reactor via a valve.

This leads you to the return pump which will be determined by the flow you need. DC - do you want to be able to control the flow of your pump through a control module integrated to use with your pump? AC - do you want a fixed flow pump where you integrate valves in your return plumbing to dial down to the appropriate flow needed?

An article on dosing...
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/dosing-rules-dosing-101-for-your-reef-aquarium.136/

In the big picture, we're trying to employ methods of nutrient export and supplementation in our boxes of water to ensure that we keep our water parameters stable and conducive to supporting the life we choose to keep. As you explore this hobby further, do a lot of reading and research. The search function in this forum is an invaluable tool... use it! :D

Last edited:

kmatehws12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum MarkS, I'm sure you kind find all sorts of recommendations by reading through these forums. There is a wealth of information here.

Reef 450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

This will be my first marine tank and I am planning on getting this tank. What I am needing help with is what additional equipment do I need to buy and any recommendations.

I live in NZ so may not have access to everything, plus any builds would be welcome to view.

TY in advance, Mark

I have a 450 that is six months old check out my videos. It will answer all your questions. Her is a link to the latest one.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow "builds" in the forums to see what others are doing and cross checking there equipment purchases with what you can get in your country.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back