Red Sea ATO leaking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My xl200 has been cycling since last Sunday and I'm having a problem with the ato. The valve at the top that shuts off the flow so you can remove the top off tank is leaking. If I open the top valve enough to allow water to get down to the float valve the top valve drips. If I close the top valve enough to stop the drip no water comes out of the float valve even when needed. This drip continues to add top off water even after the float valve is closed, raising the water level too high. What am I doing wrong?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My xl200 has been cycling since last Sunday and I'm having a problem with the ato. The valve at the top that shuts off the flow so you can remove the top off tank is leaking. If I open the top valve enough to allow water to get down to the float valve the top valve drips. If I close the top valve enough to stop the drip no water comes out of the float valve even when needed. This drip continues to add top off water even after the float valve is closed, raising the water level too high. What am I doing wrong?

I'd check (take apart) your top ato valve to make sure that it has a small rubber o-ring.

OP
OP
epetrillo

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I did and the oring is there. Red Sea Sent me a new one and I had the same problem. Must be operator error. Going to get a Tunze Osmolator.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's the older Red Sea ATO design. The newer ones just consist of a tube that connects to the RO reservoir and to the ATO float.

Yeah,
I do run a 2013 S-400, that built-in ato system (with the small top screw valve) has never failed. Still using the same water line float switch too, but make sure it's always in good running condition.

lol
Was thinking about dripping kalk with the S-Series built-in ato for about 5 minutes, but it would have been a mess with the valve and float switch constantly crusting up.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed that valve and connected the hose directly from the float to the reservoir tank. If I ever need to remove that tank to service the bottom of the sump I simply reconnect that valve and make sure it is turned off before removing the reservoir tank.

OP
OP
epetrillo

epetrillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed that valve and connected the hose directly from the float to the reservoir tank. If I ever need to remove that tank to service the bottom of the sump I simply reconnect that valve and make sure it is turned off before removing the reservoir tank.
I have done the same thing until I can get the Tunze

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also removed the valve altogether, been working a treat for the last 6months. Also plan on getting the Tunze and a 10gallon reservoir I can fit in the cabinet. Just tired of topping off every two days or so

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back