Red Sea Foundation B Liquid Precipitating

goose0211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting serious precipitation when i dose RedSea Foundation B liquid - any amount will almost immediately precipitate and I no longer get the 'cloud/smoke' effect - see below.

Any thoughts as to why and how to solve - i'm unable to get my alk to raise, presumably because of this.

Current level is between 5 and 6dkh when measured.
IMG_4275.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, will try that. Any thoughts on why it would happen?

It is normal for all high pH additives to cause local precipitation of magnesium hydroxide. That should redissolve when mixed in. If the precipitate sits around, it may form calcium carbonate, which will not redissolve.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 3. The transient cloud of magnesium hydroxide that forms when high pH additives are added. In this case, the alkalinity portion of B-ionic was added to a fairly still portion of one of my reef aquaria.

1629476159166.png

OP
OP
goose0211

goose0211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not great on chemistry at all and understanding your excellent and thorough articles is tricky for me!
I think I partly understood that low magnesium readings can cause this - mine is above 1500 and always has been so this can’t be the cause?

My concern is that it never used to do this and I can read chemistry all day but it just doesn’t go in in a way I can compute I’m afraid.

OP
OP
goose0211

goose0211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnesium is not a problem, as is any other aspect of the tank chemistry. . Try what I suggested about dilution and slower dosing to a higher flow area.
thanks again Randy, have added a pump to the return area and seems to be doing the trick.

Back