Red Sea LED 90 In Case this helps (probably also wifi connected pumps)

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I bought a pair of Red Sea LED 90s for my Reefer 250. First off, they are still super cool.....but there was a hang up setting them up and not a lot I could find out there to fix the actual problem as Red Sea's web site is a bit lacking and misleading and the error message in app is also misleading. So....for anyone who might also run into the problem here is the solution.

Problem: My LED 90s needed a firmware update out of the box
Compounding Problem: The firmware update prevented them from connecting to my home wifi network
Steps to fix this (Note, this was done using an android app, iphone might be slightly different):

1. Install the redsea app. You probably already did this as it is really the only interface that works to set up the light
2. Once the app is installed Go through the set up steps as they are fed to you
3. Try connecting your device. It might work....or you will find out your device (like the LED 90) needs a firmware update. Here is where it gets squirrley because there really isn't any guidance from Red Sea on how to fix this.
4. If you have a device that needs a firmware update you will need to take your Aquarium offline. To do this go to the main menu in the red sea app and click on the menu button in the top left hand corner (3 bars). Select the Aquariums option. This will pop up the aquariums menu. Select the aquarium you are setting up (three dots). This pops up a new menu. Select the "Offline aquarium option". This allows you to control your lights without them being connected to the internet.
5. Return to the main menu then select the quick menu option in the upper right hand corner (3 dots). Select device manager and then add a device.
6. Go through the steps of adding a device. This time when you get to the network step you simply select 'direct control' and it allows you to finish connecting to your device.
7. Once you are connected you can return to the device manager menu and now you can selet your light (3 dots next to the light name). When you select your light a menu will pop up and you can do the firmware update. Your phone will push the update to the light while it is offline.
8. Now your light is good to go.....but you have to disconnect it. So select your light again and select 'hard reset'. This disconnects your light from your phone app.
9. Before you go in to set up your light you must turn your aquarium back online. Follow Step 4, this time it will simply be turning it back online.
10. Follow step 6. This will alow you to add the device, this time with the firmware update insalled it should let you connect to your home wifi network.

Good Luck! Hope this helps anyone who comes up agains the same problem I did.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information @Rincon_Reefer thank you for sharing! I also have the RedSea Led's on a frag system and fortunately I have not had to go through that when i update the firmware.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been losing my mind for about 6 hours trying to get them to work and came across this deserves a bump for others that might be struggling

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the iPhone app and went offline. However, when I tried to add a device, it says I already did. I tried to update firmware and it’s already up to date.

now, can I just run the dang light offline? I guess the offline mode is feed off home WiFi is just mean that I can’t control it when I am away from my house? If so I am cool with that.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Red Sea sucks! I just called 1-888-733-7329 no answered and told me to leave a message? what the heck

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the iPhone app and went offline. However, when I tried to add a device, it says I already did. I tried to update firmware and it’s already up to date.

now, can I just run the dang light offline? I guess the offline mode is feed off home WiFi is just mean that I can’t control it when I am away from my house? If so I am cool with that.

You can totally run it offline. If you are happy with the light cycle that is set you can just set it and forget it. Like you said you can't access it away from home and anytime you want to make a program change you have to connect to it. Also you can't do staged sunrise/set since it has no way to communicate to the other light, if you have multiples. Also if you have multiples you have to change the program individually.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone explain one in iPhone
You can totally run it offline. If you are happy with the light cycle that is set you can just set it and forget it. Like you said you can't access it away from home and anytime you want to make a program change you have to connect to it. Also you can't do staged sunrise/set since it has no way to communicate to the other light, if you have multiples. Also if you have multiples you have to change the program individually.
great! I will leave it since it’s for my sump. No, I only got one and will never get another one! So glad that I got a used one at a great deal. No way I would have paid full price this crap! Thanks!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will the light runs on the preset schedule if I took off the Red Sea WiFi on my phone?

MSearcy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I bought a pair of Red Sea LED 90s for my Reefer 250. First off, they are still super cool.....but there was a hang up setting them up and not a lot I could find out there to fix the actual problem as Red Sea's web site is a bit lacking and misleading and the error message in app is also misleading. So....for anyone who might also run into the problem here is the solution.

Problem: My LED 90s needed a firmware update out of the box
Compounding Problem: The firmware update prevented them from connecting to my home wifi network
Steps to fix this (Note, this was done using an android app, iphone might be slightly different):

1. Install the redsea app. You probably already did this as it is really the only interface that works to set up the light
2. Once the app is installed Go through the set up steps as they are fed to you
3. Try connecting your device. It might work....or you will find out your device (like the LED 90) needs a firmware update. Here is where it gets squirrley because there really isn't any guidance from Red Sea on how to fix this.
4. If you have a device that needs a firmware update you will need to take your Aquarium offline. To do this go to the main menu in the red sea app and click on the menu button in the top left hand corner (3 bars). Select the Aquariums option. This will pop up the aquariums menu. Select the aquarium you are setting up (three dots). This pops up a new menu. Select the "Offline aquarium option". This allows you to control your lights without them being connected to the internet.
5. Return to the main menu then select the quick menu option in the upper right hand corner (3 dots). Select device manager and then add a device.
6. Go through the steps of adding a device. This time when you get to the network step you simply select 'direct control' and it allows you to finish connecting to your device.
7. Once you are connected you can return to the device manager menu and now you can selet your light (3 dots next to the light name). When you select your light a menu will pop up and you can do the firmware update. Your phone will push the update to the light while it is offline.
8. Now your light is good to go.....but you have to disconnect it. So select your light again and select 'hard reset'. This disconnects your light from your phone app.
9. Before you go in to set up your light you must turn your aquarium back online. Follow Step 4, this time it will simply be turning it back online.
10. Follow step 6. This will alow you to add the device, this time with the firmware update insalled it should let you connect to your home wifi network.

Good Luck! Hope this helps anyone who comes up agains the same problem I did.
Hi,
I found your post. I bought (2) Reef LEDs-50. I can't connect to my wifi network either. I did take my aquarium off line to try to do a set up. But, when I went to add a device, the "direct control" did not pop up. Where do I go from here??
Thanks,
Marie

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you connected to the device's wifi via your phone? If so add the device and direct control is an option after it is recognized.

Vlad Hati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I had my setup of 3 ReefLed 90s running for almost a year. And today after a cleanup I am not able to hard reset any of them. I tried everythiung that has been suggested here, from re-installing everything to trying an offline.

The key is that when I try to do a hard reset I get the connection light flashing quickly and when I press the button it turns and stays red, no matter how long I press. I also attached a pic and some video.

Any advice on how to fix this is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Vlad

Attachments

• IMG_9201.jpeg
    IMG_9201.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9202.MOV
    5.1 MB
  • IMG_9203.MOV
    21.6 MB
  • IMG_9204.jpeg
    IMG_9204.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 59

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I had the same problem. Every time if I had it power off for whatever reason. I had to plug and unplug it for a few times, let it sits for a bit then retry a few times and it worked.

the light itself is good but whoever designed this wifi connection soft/hard ware, you failed! Big time!

for a product that costs almost 400 you would think it would design better or at least it works.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People having trouble may have better luck setting up a 2ghz only SSID. Many wifi enabled devices only support 2.4ghz band and can’t connect to dual band SSIDs (2.4 and 5 ghz).

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People having trouble may have better luck setting up a 2ghz only SSID. Many wifi enabled devices only support 2.4ghz band and can’t connect to dual band SSIDs (2.4 and 5 ghz).
ALREADY TRIED MANY MANY TIMES! All wireless outlet controller are using 2.4ghz, I am not tech savvy but I am not dumb so this is definitely Red Seas fault.

thanks for pointing this out tho!

Vlad Hati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I had my setup of 3 ReefLed 90s running for almost a year. And today after a cleanup I am not able to hard reset any of them. I tried everythiung that has been suggested here, from re-installing everything to trying an offline.

The key is that when I try to do a hard reset I get the connection light flashing quickly and when I press the button it turns and stays red, no matter how long I press. I also attached a pic and some video.

Any advice on how to fix this is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Vlad
Problem solved!!! After trying everything (including removing the button battery inside every LED) I finally fixed it (for now!) . It has been previously suggested here to try to quickly detach and re-attach the mother/father connectors 4 times as a reset. Really quickly! It finally worked for me and I am back online. Hope it works for others! (However this is no excuse for a sub-par software -for a rather good hardware- provided by Red Sea...)

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved!!! After trying everything (including removing the button battery inside every LED) I finally fixed it (for now!) . It has been previously suggested here to try to quickly detach and re-attach the mother/father connectors 4 times as a reset. Really quickly! It finally worked for me and I am back online. Hope it works for others! (However this is no excuse for a sub-par software -for a rather good hardware- provided by Red Sea...)
Thanks for posting. I agree, they have some software issues that are not acceptable...but people are finding solutions. This is helpful and I am definitely going to keep it in mind in case I run into it in the future.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back