Red Sea Max Nano 26 equipment vs upgrade

ac4570

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I ordered the Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula (26g) to replace my current nano tank. Since I already have a tank and equipment, I am trying to decide what to use from my current system versus sell and use the Red Sea provided items.

1. Red Sea ReefLED50 vs AI Prime 16HD
I currently have 2 primes. Does anyone have a preference between using the Prime versus the Red Sea? Whatever I do not choose to use I will end up selling.

2. Red Sea Max Nano REEF-SPEC Protein Skimmer vs Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001 DC
Currently have the Tunze skimmer. Is it worth keeping the Tunze and selling the Red Sea? It seems like some posts have said the Tunze will outperform the Red Sea skimmer.

3. 240GPH Sicce Return Pump vs Hydor Seltz D DC (500gph max)
Currently have the Hydor and should be able to lower the flow rate in line with the Sicce. Any thoughts on the quality between the 2?

Thanks!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use none of it! The equipment in the Max Nano is build for that tank and it does a very good job indeed.

If you want to make any upgrades, ditch the skimmer and install a wee filter roller instead.

mbstallone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_4349.jpeg

trlotlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at either buying a 20 gal cube or buying the max nano g2. What is the additional equipment you have in that tank? I'm debating on doing all HOB or just doing the AIO. I have a 3.6 gal AIO now but it is to small

EDIT: was trying to reply to mbstallone ;)

trlotlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some adjustments to my Red Sea and supper happy with the results.
IMG_4343.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg
IMG_4344.jpeg
what is the additional equipment you have in this tank? I am looking at upgrading my 3.6 gal AIO to either the Nano Max G2 20 or getting just a 20 cube and putting all HOB items on it.

OP
OP
A

ac4570

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some adjustments to my Red Sea and supper happy with the results.
IMG_4343.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg
IMG_4344.jpeg
It looks like you have 2 gyre wavemakers and an MP10. Is that right? How do you like that flow? Seeing a some recommend only 1 power head, but getting too many dead spots.

Looks great btw!

mbstallone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have one Reefwave 25 and one mp10. I also have a uv from aqua top 8w in the corner. Love the flow it’s working out perfectly.

mbstallone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Started out with the MP 10 and got too many dead spots needed to add the Reef wave 25 set at 30% and got rid of all dead spots, where detritus would sit and hair algae would bloom
It looks like you have 2 gyre wavemakers and an MP10. Is that right? How do you like that flow? Seeing a some recommend only 1 power head, but getting too many dead spots.

Looks great btw!

OP
OP
A

ac4570

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started out with the MP 10 and got too many dead spots needed to add the Reef wave 25 set at 30% and got rid of all dead spots, where detritus would sit and hair algae would bloom
Exactly what I’ve been going through. Been running an mp10 and dealing with the dead spots. Added a spare IceCap 2K Gyre I had laying around after seeing your post.

What max % do you have the MP10 set to? Not sure if I’m getting too much flow

mbstallone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have it set to 50%on random and I pointed them at each other to break up the flow to stop the movement of the sand on each side of the glass. Set the gyre one slightly up and the other at the mp10.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back