Red Sea Max S Series (400, 500, 650) - anyone have one?

JeanR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am considering a tank upgrade, something that is furniture quality that I can keep in the middle of my living room. Red Sea systems are pricey, but they are really pretty and my wife will let me keep one in the living room.

I feel like many reefers who want a Red Sea aquarium gravitate to a Reefer system where they can play more. That said, checking out the Red Sea Max S Series it looks like a great tank - the one obvious downside being a small sump without much space to add gadgets. I am curious if anyone on the forum has one, how long they've had it, how they like it, any regrets, any advice...

Thanks in advance!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and so does
@GoVols @PanchoG @Nobbygas @Frizzles7 @Rctreece amongts others

Certainly in the S650 the sump isn’t small, and if I bought another tank it would be S Series and 650 for me without hesitation.

The systems are stunning and certainly furniture quality as there are no wires showing (don’t look at the back lol!!)

You can see mine in my build thread in the signature

And welcome to R2R as well!

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Max S 500. I just got back into this hobby and wanted a non typical tank that would look good in my house. The 500 filled the bill and looks like a piece of moving art. They are pricey. I have not had any issues adding extra equipment that I wanted. Good luck

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case I was looking to upgrade from a nano I had for several years, after checking the available options I chose the S-500 as well. I can tell you zero regrets, the the tank is stunning and ready to work from Day 1.

It can fit everywhere in your house, in my case it is in the living room, no complains from the family, in fact is the opposite, it looks so neat and good, it became the initial conversation topic for any visitor we have.

If I would have to buy a new tank, it will be a S-Series without hesitating.

Welcome to R2R!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeanR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts and for the warm welcome!

IMG_6118.jpg
I have a Red Sea Max C-130 I bought second-hand on craigslist two years ago. This was my first salt water tank and I love it, a great intro to the hobby. I have a peaceful mixed reef with lots of color and movement.

Hopefully you won't mind if I pepper you with some questions:
1. Can you explain how the concealed rear circular pumps work? Does most of the water fall into this rear chamber and only some of the water end up in the down flow pipe?
2. Are you happy with these rear circular pumps? Do you still need to add an MP40 (or similar) to get the desired flow in your display?
3. Do you like the sump provided?
4. Did you keep the C-Skim 1800?
5. Where does detritus tend to build up outside the display?
6. Do you like the built in ATO system?
7. What have you added to your tank beyond what comes in the box?
8. Can you put a refugium in the sump (if you wanted to)?
9. What model color (black or white) do you have and are you happy with that color?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your taking the time!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts and for the warm welcome!

IMG_6118.jpg
I have a Red Sea Max C-130 I bought second-hand on craigslist two years ago. This was my first salt water tank and I love it, a great intro to the hobby. I have a peaceful mixed reef with lots of color and movement.

Hopefully you won't mind if I pepper you with some questions:
1. Can you explain how the concealed rear circular pumps work? Does most of the water fall into this rear chamber and only some of the water end up in the down flow pipe?
2. Are you happy with these rear circular pumps? Do you still need to add an MP40 (or similar) to get the desired flow in your display?
9. What model color (black or white) do you have and are you happy with that color?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your taking the time!
That’s a great looking tank Jean!

The water goes over the wear into the chamber and some goes down the down pipe and some stays in. There are also rear vents half way down the back which will feed water to the pumps. It’s also provides a lot of flow and you can point the outlet nozzles were ever you need to.

Yes flow is fine and you certainly don’t need anything like MP40 as that would also spoil the clean look

Yes, certainly in the 650 it’s plenty big enough

I ran it for around 12 months and it works but there are much better skimmers. I have the NYOS Quantum 160 and it’s silent and very efficient. If you can buy without the skimmer do so and then research which you want.

Mine tends to build up in the sump, and also the rear chamber needs cleaning occasionally like once a year. I have a Python water changer for both jobs including water changes were I basically empty the sump

The built in ATO float works fine with no issues. I also have a Tunze Osmolator as primary ATO now with bigger storage capacity

Nothing is actually needed but as you learn and mess around you may want things like:
Tunze, Apex, Reactors, Kamoer doser etc etc.

Yes

Black of course!! Lol

Depends on your home decor I suppose

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything @SPR just said, the rear pumps are good you do not need anything else to generate flow, ATO works fine, ok for refugium, the C-Skim can definitely be upgraded. I still run the C-Skim after 18 months and doing fine. The AI Hydras are easy to configure.

Oh! one thing I don’t agree with @SPR, it should be white! hahaha.

TomG Atlanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have at Max-S 500 LED, with upgrades for Apex, Skimmer, 2 40 Eco's, chiller.
Son been off to college so thinking of seeling

nrao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TomG - I am looing for red sea max 500, when are planning to sell, I am in atlanta

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back