Red Sea media cups

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the Red Sea media cups with success? I have a Red Sea 350 and was thinking about using them to run carbon and gfo. I’m more particularly interested if it worked for the gfo keeping your phosphate levels at bay. The lest equipment I have to smash in my sump the better!

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one, but my 170 is running yet. The cup seems well made and is deep. You could put carbon or gfo in a media bag with filter floss on top.

OP
OP
Jen_h

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one, but my 170 is running yet. The cup seems well made and is deep. You could put carbon or gfo in a media bag with filter floss on top.

Yea that’s what I was thinking, guess it won’t hurt to just give it a try! I hate Messi g with gfo in a reactor so hopefully this works out

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely seem more professional than some of the other media cups you can buy for these Red Sea tanks and the price is about the same.

OP
OP
Jen_h

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely seem more professional than some of the other media cups you can buy for these Red Sea tanks and the price is about the same.
Definitely I agree!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looks like a nice setup, I hate running reactors also. I converted all my reactors to algae reactors and run bags on a rack under the bubble sponge in my sump. Just mix your gfo with carbon so it breaks up the gfo from bonding together. GFO doesn't necessarily need to be tumbled, but it will bond together, giving less available surface area which will diminish productivity. Check out BRS, they have a vid about mixing carbon and gfo in their reactors.

OP
OP
Jen_h

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really good info, thanks for the input

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are stated to be around 8” where all the others on the market are around 6”.
Also looks to have better flow through vs other cups with only drain holes on the bottom.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back