Red Sea Nano Max or Reefer 170?

Bash82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm looking at getting my first marine aquarium and can't decide between the Red Sea Nano Max or the Reefer 170. I'm maiy looking at the cost difference and wondering whether its better spending the extra on the Reefer 170 or whether I should stick with something smaller for a couple of years before I move on to something bigger?

I know on my. I can decide but any input. Would be great as I've been pondering this for over a week now and still getti g nowhere!

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 170. I started with a 10 gallon (15 x 13 x 13) although I did plan to upgrade from the very beginning (just wanted to get my feet wet). Anyways, it's been one month already and I'm out of room so my 170 is coming this Friday lol. Can't even use magnet to clean glass without knocking stuff around.

I think the nano is 18 x 18 x 18 so it's definitely bigger than my 10 gallon but it's still a little similar. You may end up upgrading the nano anyways so I'd just go 170 if you can. I would've gone 350 because it technically fits but that means I would have to move my couch and dining table and my other half said no lol.

nicholas.babb@gmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get the 170 just for the sump alone. You can do a lot in this space (I run a protein skimmer and refugium).

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the 170 or larger if you can. I have the 170 deluxe and love it. You will actually save some money (about $200 if you bought the same light separately) by going with the deluxe because it comes with a hydra 26HD and the mount for the light. You can also control the light with your phone or computer without having to purchase any additional equipment to connect online.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back