• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all! As some f you may know, last night my 210 gallon Aqueon tank slipped a seam and I had to drain it all. I have a dumpster to put it in and I need to get a new tank as soon as possible! I'm wanting to downsize just a little bit, and my LFS has bot Red Sea and Planet aquariums available right now. The tanks I'm looking at are in the 90-150 gallon range, and I'm hoping to get something at least 3 feet long to house my current sump.
Thanks for the help y'all! Have a nice day.

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of those two, I would choose Planet Aquarium. RS had issues with their stands that was off-putting when I was shopping for a new tank. They released a retrofit and an extended warranty but only if you were the original owner, IIRC. I know PA are made in the US if that matters to you. I'm not sure where RS are built.

I ended up buying an SC Aquariums 90 long that sits on top of a homemade stand and couldn't be happier. I've heard good things about GlassCages as well.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon planet crystaline and a Red Sea 350. I do like the planet for it is trimless vs rimless. Makes it nice for a screen top.

To my surprise the Red Sea is a tank (no pun intended). The stand even though engineered when put together is heavier and seems sturdier than the planet stand. Even though the planet is made of actual wood. I enjoy the fact Red Sea has low iron glass on 3 sides vs only the front on the planet. I had a weird issue with the front panel on my planet that the company wouldn’t cover under warranty even though I was in the time allowed and I believe was an evident defect.

A downfall of the Red Sea vs the planet is metric plumbing. If you want to plumb a manifold you have to get a little more creative. You can have the option of a ghost overflow on the planet which are nice.

Me personally? I like my Red Sea more.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Planet Aquariums. My 150 has been up for 3 months and no complaints. I felt their stands were considerably better, just my opinion

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Planet.
Too many recent leak and structural issues with Red Sea

TexasLongshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this forum is a bit old however I do want to say this, I will never order a Planet Aquarium Tank, I live in Dallas, called "I'm looking for a custom tank build they said "We don't deal with the Public call your LFS then hung up", I said no way they can't be this rude called back again different person this time and said "Sorry we don't sell to the public" then hung up. So I called my LFS and told myself, well I guess I'll save in shipping, I was looking at a tank 48-36-24, these guys bump it up to 48-36-26 then quote me $4,086, They are higher the Bob Marley in 1969. Called planet aquarium thinking there's just no way, then they go, call another LFS and have it quoted, we don't deal with the pubic. Then HUNG UP. Rather save up another two grand and go with Reef Savvy, or order a tank from Miracle's or Coast 2 Coast with shipping same tank comes out to cheaper. These guys are crazy, I guess they don't need my money that bad, I guess I'll take my money somewhere else.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this forum is a bit old however I do want to say this, I will never order a Planet Aquarium Tank, I live in Dallas, called "I'm looking for a custom tank build they said "We don't deal with the Public call your LFS then hung up", I said no way they can't be this rude called back again different person this time and said "Sorry we don't sell to the public" then hung up. So I called my LFS and told myself, well I guess I'll save in shipping, I was looking at a tank 48-36-24, these guys bump it up to 48-36-26 then quote me $4,086, They are higher the Bob Marley in 1969. Called planet aquarium thinking there's just no way, then they go, call another LFS and have it quoted, we don't deal with the pubic. Then HUNG UP. Rather save up another two grand and go with Reef Savvy, or order a tank from Miracle's or Coast 2 Coast with shipping same tank comes out to cheaper. These guys are crazy, I guess they don't need my money that bad, I guess I'll take my money somewhere else.
Hey! Yeah, I have the tank now (Planet Aquariums crystalline 125g) so the thread is a little obsolete, but thanks for the input! I have never heard about anything like that, though I know they only server to LFS's and never directly to the consumer. I personally got my tank from my LFS directly, they already had it in stock so I went ahead and bought it, I'm unparallelably happy with it so far and am very happy I went with planet. I'm sorry you had such a sour experience man.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Yeah, I have the tank now (Planet Aquariums crystalline 125g) so the thread is a little obsolete, but thanks for the input! I have never heard about anything like that, though I know they only server to LFS's and never directly to the consumer. I personally got my tank from my LFS directly, they already had it in stock so I went ahead and bought it, I'm unparallelably happy with it so far and am very happy I went with planet. I'm sorry you had such a sour experience man.
Glad to hear you are stoked about the tank. May I ask what kind of warranty you get? The upside of dealing through an LFS is they deal with the headaches and have slightly more leverage than the individual consumer does. My LFS does a lot of battling/paperwork on behalf of customers.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you are stoked about the tank. May I ask what kind of warranty you get? The upside of dealing through an LFS is they deal with the headaches and have slightly more leverage than the individual consumer does. My LFS does a lot of battling/paperwork on behalf of customers.
I'm not actually sure what warranty we got, I'll have to ask my LFS tomorrow when I go to fill the tank, I didn't even think of that lol Thanks.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 4 Planet Tanks now. I like them and I trust their builders.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that they do not use a brand name Starfire glass. Not all low iron glass is created equally. Recently I inquired about what brand they use (Starfire from Vitro, Guardian Industries UltraClear aka Ultrawhite glass, Pilkington’s Optiwhite, Starlite, Krystal Klear, Diamant, or Eurowhite) and they don’t use any of these brands.

They have been working with (unknown) glass manufacturer for last 7 years (according to them) and their low iron glass is an “unbranded Planet Aquarium product.”

I find it a little strange that all these companies advertise ultra clear, Crystaline, crystal clear, but yet none of them except Elos will list the glass clarity rating. If anybody knows please post up.

Only Elos has it listed that I’ve been able to see:

DiamondVision Crystal glass. ELOS lead the market in the realization of aquariums through the use of the ExtraClear Glass.
ELOS today, is the first in the world, to introduce the newELOS DiamondVisionglass, for a "crystalline" view of the inhabitants of your aquarium!
ELOS DiamondVision glass combines the qualities of scratch resistance of the ELOS ExtraClear glass, adding a unique transparency.
Thanks to a light transmission of 92% and a colour rendering of 99% the aquariums of the new DiamondLine will offer an extraordinary view of the inhabitants of your aquarium.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back