Red sea owners, do i need this in the sump?

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this sponge is standard between the bubble trap of the return pump, do I need it? I have filter roles. the only thing I notice when I remove it is that the water makes quite a trickle sound? (is there such a thing as that) but it almost disappears when the sponge is there. is that the point or could a comb do the same thing? what have the rest of you done?
1000007456.jpg

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took mine out a while ago when I was having issues with my valve trying to eliminate problems for varying sump levels. I haven’t had it in since then. Between the roller and skimmer I haven’t noticed any problems. Plus it’s a good spot if you wana throw a bag of carbon or something. To answer your other question it’s also there to stop micro bubbles from entering your display.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I removed it - but I did not hear any increased 'trickle'. it did catch quite a bit of debris when I used it, wasn't that hard to rinse off and replace.

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason why the water made a lot of noise was that the trap was at the highest level, lowered it a little and then the sound disappeared.

thx for the help all!

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used it on my reefer 350 before and it helped filter out debris like bits of chaeto and detritus but I had to clean it like once a month to maintain the flow, otherwise water will flow over the baffle and raise the water level on the skimmer chamber. I bought a big piece of sponge from amazon that was exactly the same thickness, same material and just cut it to size so it was exactly like the original one that came with the tank when it was new. I didn’t notice any microbubbles going into the display, with or without the sponge.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back