Red Sea 250 V3 Sump. I really could use some help.

rse98100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I acquired a Red Sea Reefer 250 V3 and was looking forward to setting up my first sump.
The main tank has been running for about 2 weeks as a test with sponge filters.
Last night I decided to give the sump my best try,

3 hours later I am just lost. It is flowing down and back up, but it is super noisy, and it won't down flow without removing the front comb. I have 6-7 inches of water in the sump and am afraid to add any more.
Also, the main overflow tube seems to suck air when the noise guard is on. I am somewhat baffled,

I would be happy to send pics or a video if anyone can be so kind to assist.
At this point, I miss a canister filter.

Regards,

Richard

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Richard :)

First of all, dont worry! We have all been there. Setting up your first sump can be a daunting thing, but its easier that you might think!

The fact that it is super noisy is most likely down to the fact that the drain is sucking in a lot of air.

See the valve on your main drain? Try closing it slowly until the tank starts to run silent. Half a turn every minute or so..

When doing this, keep in mind that the same amount of water will be sent from the sump to the display (as you're not adjusting anything to your return pump). It's all about that balance!

The level of water will drop in your sump and will have to be filled up so as to not damage your pump.

Don't be afraid of filling up water in your sump.

OP
OP
R

rse98100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First of all, dont worry! We have all been there. Setting up your first sump can be a daunting thing, but its easier that you might think!

The fact that it is super noisy is most likely down to the fact that the drain is sucking in a lot of air.

See the valve on your main drain? Try closing it slowly until the tank starts to run silent. Half a turn every minute or so..

When doing this, keep in mind that the same amount of water will be sent from the sump to the display (as you're not adjusting anything to your return pump). It's all about that balance!

The level of water will drop in your sump and will have to be filled up so as to not damage your pump.

Thank you Casper. I am waiting in a new return nozzle to come as the one I had is improvised. I will try it again after that has been installed.

Richard

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

agree. just keep the water lvl in the sump return area slightly over the pump so it doesnt suck air.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What return pump are you using?

and it won't down flow without removing the front comb. I have 6-7 inches of water in the sump and am afraid to add any more.
This almost sounds like it doesn’t have enough power or is not connected right.

In my Red Sea reefer 250 I use Maxspect Jump DC 6K and run it at 60% and I do not need to remove the front comb.
The recommended flow for 250 is 790 gph.

Maybe this helps (Red Sea instructions):
1704941002833.jpeg

1704941029749.jpeg

The main downpipe valve from Red Sea is pain to use.

Good luck,

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I acquired a Red Sea Reefer 250 V3 and was looking forward to setting up my first sump.
The main tank has been running for about 2 weeks as a test with sponge filters.
Last night I decided to give the sump my best try,

3 hours later I am just lost. It is flowing down and back up, but it is super noisy, and it won't down flow without removing the front comb. I have 6-7 inches of water in the sump and am afraid to add any more.
Also, the main overflow tube seems to suck air when the noise guard is on. I am somewhat baffled,

I would be happy to send pics or a video if anyone can be so kind to assist.
At this point, I miss a canister filter.

Regards,

Richard
Which part of the sump? That doesn't sound like enough water to me, especially if you have to remove the comb to get water to overflow.

OP
OP
R

rse98100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which part of the sump? That doesn't sound like enough water to me, especially if you have to remove the comb to get water to overflow.
Yes, I was thinking maybe not quite enough. I have 6-7 inches in the sump in every chamber while pump is off. I tried to follow the Red Sea Instructions, but something is off. There is also the down flow valve, which I had full open and then tried to adjust but just not that familiar with what to expect. When I install the return nozzle (which did not come with this) I am going to run it again. Thank you.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how you have the gate between the skimmer and return section set, but 6-7 inches in the sump with the return pump off isn't even close. I have almost 9 inches in the fuge/skimmer sections with the return pump running.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back