Red Sea pH results conflicting

JonJonJonJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently about a week into cycling my tank with Dr Tim's and have been testing pH, ammonia, and nitrite using the Red Sea Marine Care test kits. During this time, my pH has been steadily reading as 7.6, the lowest color on the chart. I've been testing around the same time every day (~1pm) and using natural sunlight coming in my window when checking color.

Cut to today and I wasn't able to test until the evening. Depending on the lighting, I can see readings of anywhere between 7.6 and 8.2! 8.2 is more apparent as the reading under a warmer, yellower light while 7.6 shows under a more cool, white light.

Is there an ideal light to be using when reading this kit? I'll be taking a water sample to my lfs for testing and also looking for another pH test. Are there any other chemical kits worth trying or should I try for a digital probe?

Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the colors and squint your eye. Instead of trying the match the color , try to see the contrast between the colors.

You don’t need to worry about ph right now really. Fwiw

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point to consider, the droplet-style pH kits are good enough for ballpark numbers, but they're not the most accurate or precise. Plus, you can't easily calibrate them with a standard to know if they are functioning correctly.

OP
OP
JonJonJonJon

JonJonJonJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point to consider, the droplet-style pH kits are good enough for ballpark numbers, but they're not the most accurate or precise. Plus, you can't easily calibrate them with a standard to know if they are functioning correctly.
Thanks for the reply. I know they aren't the most precise, but I wouldn't expect such a large variance just depending on light source.
Is there a particular kit you would recommend? Or is a digital probe best for this measurement?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back