Red sea reef mature starter kit & fluval evo 13.5

dbw7891

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, new to the hobby and after lots of research the tank has arrived and the next process can begin. I've purchased the Fluval Evo 13.5. I plan on using caribsea sand fiji pink but not live rock. Will be using intank media baskets in chamber 1 & 2 but have yes decided what to put in them. I've upgraded the return pump to an ehiem 600, added an RFG and also purchased a jebro sw2 wavemaker. The heater and temp control panel has also been purchased, all thats left is an ATO.

I want to take my time with the cycle and try to do it using a lights off method. To assist the start of the cycle I've purchased the Red Sea Reef Mature starter kit and am now a little confused if this was the right kit to cycle the tank with. Can anyone provide some advise on using this kit to cycle this particular tank you experience? Ideally some information around measurements and timelines would be really appreciated. Thanks and cant wait to get the tank up and running

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a good kit but you can't use the nopox unless you have a good protein skimmer. I tend to recommend a bottle of bacteria and ammonium chloride from dr tims or something similar. For the coraline grow bottle, only dose it if you notice your alk beginning to drop.

OP
OP
D

dbw7891

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a good kit but you can't use the nopox unless you have a good protein skimmer. I tend to recommend a bottle of bacteria and ammonium chloride from dr tims or something similar. For the coraline grow bottle, only dose it if you notice your alk beginning to drop.
Thank you for the response as it feels that this is the general consensus. Wont be using the RS kit but will go down the bottles bacteria route. Is Dr TIms the best one you would recommend? Assume its the One and Only bottle along with the ammonia?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back