OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going?! :)
Everything's going well. Haven't posted an update in a while. Been keeping up with the water changes and parameters have been consistently good. Clownfish are doing well and I finally added some coral last week. Will try to post some better pictures later this week. Currently have a Yellow Clown Goby in QT that i'll hopefully add in 3 weeks as well.

Coral List:
Duncan
Frogspawn
Hammer
AOI Zoanthid
Fire and Ice Zoanthid

IMG_6429.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

IMG_6430.jpeg

IMG_6426.jpeg

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I enjoyed reading your thread. Thanks for sharing. I'll be getting a RR 170 this month and doing my research.

Left behind a RR450 before we moved to a different country. The 170 would be a great fit.
I'll keep following.

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally installed the DOS. I'm dosing with ESV Bionic 2 part. Got lucky and had just enough room to fit the DOS over the ATO. Definitely wasn't planned. Ended up using a hang on container to store the alkalinity and calcium bottles that I bought on amazon and then connected with some bulkheads from BRS. Overall pretty happy with how it came out. Sump area is getting a bit tight but I don't imagine adding anything else as of right now. I'll take some pics of the tank soon as I've added a bunch of corals. Having trouble getting good pics. Everything comes out really blue. Anyone have any tips on taking pics of a reef tank?

IMG_6813.jpeg

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I've been able to get using the aquarium camera app.

Current Stocking List:
2 x Blizzard Clownfish
1 x Orchid Dottyback
1 x Yellowtail Damselfish
1 x Emerald Crab
4 x Trochus Snails
3 x Cerith Snails
3 x Nassarius Snails

Corals: 20
Green Star Polyp
Green Duncan
Purple Hammer
Green Frogspawn
WWC Blue Eyed Girl Zoanthids
WWC Fire and Ice Zoanthids
WWC AOI Zoanthids
WWC Kingpin Chalice
WWC Pink Floyd Chalice
WWC Mystery Cyphastrea
WWC Green Star Polyp
WWC Neon Green Torch Coral
WWC Splatter Hammer
ORA Hawkins Blue Acropora
WWC Metalman Blastomussa
WWC Lime in the Sky Chalice
WWC Monster Mash Zoanthids
WWC Neon Green Tip Torch Coral
WWC Radioactive Dragoneyes Zoanthids
WWC Ultra Green Ricordea

I've lost a Tuxedo Urchin and had to return a Yellow Clown Goby that was nipping at a bunch of corals, especially the Frogspawn and Hammers. Overall everything else has been healthy and thriving.

IMG_6845.JPG

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a filter clip for your phone camera. The Polyp Lab one seems to be the most popular version these days. I think it comes with a couple different shades of filter (yellow, orange, and/or pink maybe?) and a macro filter. I have an "AquariClip," which is basically the same thing but only came with one orange filter and is a little too orange for my taste. Either way, I struggled for months trying to get a good photo of my tank, then I snapped one of these on and like magic, the pictures straight out of the camera looked really nice!

Good luck, tank is looking great!

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed going through your thread. I started my tank at about the same time. Your tank is looking really nice.
I agree about the Polyplab filters. They make a huge difference. I could not get decent pics with the aquarium app.

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I enjoyed reading your thread. Thanks for sharing. I'll be getting a RR 170 this month and doing my research.

Left behind a RR450 before we moved to a different country. The 170 would be a great fit.
I'll keep following.
I don't have anything to compare it to but I'm really happy I went with the RSR170.

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a filter clip for your phone camera. The Polyp Lab one seems to be the most popular version these days. I think it comes with a couple different shades of filter (yellow, orange, and/or pink maybe?) and a macro filter. I have an "AquariClip," which is basically the same thing but only came with one orange filter and is a little too orange for my taste. Either way, I struggled for months trying to get a good photo of my tank, then I snapped one of these on and like magic, the pictures straight out of the camera looked really nice!

Good luck, tank is looking great!
Just ordered one. Thanks for the recommendation!

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed going through your thread. I started my tank at about the same time. Your tank is looking really nice.
I agree about the Polyplab filters. They make a huge difference. I could not get decent pics with the aquarium app.
Thanks. Just went through your build thread. Love your cabinet and rock work. Everything is looking great! Will keep following.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks awesome. For the custom ATO tank, do you happen to know the dimensions of it? Also, where are the level monitors/sensors and tubing route to in the sump?

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks awesome. For the custom ATO tank, do you happen to know the dimensions of it? Also, where are the level monitors/sensors and tubing route to in the sump?
Hey, dimensions are 3.5" wide x 17" deep x 24" tall. The level monitors/sensors and tubing are routed through a hole in the top of the ATO. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thank you. I really like that as I want somewhere in the cabinet to mount a larger ATO.

From the ATO to the actual sump where is everything pieced together in the sump itself? The sensors, tubes, etc.?

Thanks and sorry for the questions as I'm just learning.

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thank you. I really like that as I want somewhere in the cabinet to mount a larger ATO.

From the ATO to the actual sump where is everything pieced together in the sump itself? The sensors, tubes, etc.?

Thanks and sorry for the questions as I'm just learning.

Hey, what sensors and tubes are you referring to? The water level sensor and pump for ATO are inside the actual ATO through a hole in the top of the ATO. All of my electronics are in the cabinet behind the tank. Skimmer, return pump are in the sump area.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, what sensors and tubes are you referring to? The water level sensor and pump for ATO are inside the actual ATO through a hole in the top of the ATO. All of my electronics are in the cabinet behind the tank. Skimmer, return pump are in the sump area.

Ok. Thanks.

I thought the sensors for the water level (used to determine whether or not so turn on the pump in the ATO and push water out ) resided in either the DT or the sump itself.

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks.

I thought the sensors for the water level (used to determine whether or not so turn on the pump in the ATO and push water out ) resided in either the DT or the sump itself.
Hey, yes. The water level sensor is in the sump in the back chamber where I have the return pump. The filling tube is running up the back and into the DT so that I don't run the risk of a siphon occurring. I also installed a water level sensor in the ATO itself connected to my Apex that lets me know when I need to refill the ATO.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, yes. The water level sensor is in the sump in the back chamber where I have the return pump. The filling tube is running up the back and into the DT so that I don't run the risk of a siphon occurring. I also installed a water level sensor in the ATO itself connected to my Apex that lets me know when I need to refill the ATO.

Got it. Thank you! I'm going to do the same thing. Perhaps a little smaller ATO container. They have a stock one slightly more narrow and I'll probably go with that. Is it hard to get in there and fill it up?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded a few weeks ago to reefer 170. Blown away with how nice these are. Love your set up got some good ideas from this. Here is mine, work in progress.
20c7354998cf1c31a3a44e0373162f08.jpg

OP
OP
Nando

Nando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, haven't posted in a while. Here are some updates pics of the tank. Pics colors aren't that great even with the lens. Haven't quite perfected the picture taking yet. I recently moved a few rocks around so you'll notice some clean spots on the rocks. Most corals seem to be doing well besides the Zoas. I've lost a few and cant really get any of them to do well in the tank.

IMG_8671.jpeg

IMG_8648.jpeg

IMG_8651.jpeg

IMG_8656.jpeg

IMG_8657.jpeg

IMG_8658.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back