Red Sea Reefer 170 (Existing Tank)

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I've had this tank for a couple of years now so I'm way past due to create this build thread. My brother and I decided to get back into the hobby (separately) after being away for 10+ years. I started the tank about May 2020. Here are some specs and some pics.

Tank: Red sea reefer 170
Lights: 2 Kessil A160's
Return: Varios 2 DC pump
Powerhead: Coral Box QP9 Powerhead
Skimmer: Aquamaxx FC-80 Protein Skimmer
Dosing: All-For-Reef and Kalkwasser

Lot of automation using Kasa power strip instead of using an Apex, which saved me a ton of money and does what I need it to.

I created a gravity-fed auto-top off, which I also add kalkwasser to. This is going to be controversial but it's worked really well for me. I've had it get clogged a handful of times so I need to throw the float valve into some vinegar every couple of months to make sure it doesn't get clogged but I've been very pleased with it overall.

I've never been huge on fish and only have a handful, 2 clowns, a striped dottyback, 2 chromis and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Corals have been my main focus with a mix of SPS and LPS and only a couple of softies.

IMG_5322.jpg IMG_5745.jpg IMG_5749.jpg IMG_5774.jpg IMG_6300.jpg IMG_6301.jpg IMG_6302.jpg IMG_6303.jpg IMG_6308.jpg IMG_6309.jpg IMG_6332.jpg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!! Great idea on adding a larger reservoir. It is actually the reason I came on this thread to give you the heads up but seems like you got this!! Do you have a stir / powerhead on your kalk drip to keep things in suspension? Good luck!!

OP
OP
Poseidon9697

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!! Great idea on adding a larger reservoir. It is actually the reason I came on this thread to give you the heads up but seems like you got this!! Do you have a stir / powerhead on your kalk drip to keep things in suspension? Good luck!!
Yup I have a little 100gph pump in the return pump reservoir stirring everything up as the ATO/kalk drips. That seems to help things a lot.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Poseidon9697

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the best place that I was able to find. It creates a constant swirl around the tank with minimal dead spots. I would consider putting it on the side of the tank if I didn't have an overflow box, but the overflow completely messes with the flow in the tank if you put a powerhead on the side.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the best place that I was able to find. It creates a constant swirl around the tank with minimal dead spots. I would consider putting it on the side of the tank if I didn't have an overflow box, but the overflow completely messes with the flow in the tank if you put a powerhead on the side.
You mean the one that comes with the reefer 170? Is that why mine gurgles so dang much, because I have it on the side?

I’ve actually just gone ahead and moved mine to the same spot you have yours, will see how it goes!

OP
OP
Poseidon9697

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it gurgles so dang much because the drain valve is a point of sale. I've considered replacing it, there are tons of threads and videos on how to replace it with a better one, but I really hate plumbing and I didn't want to go down that path.

You have to play around with the powerhead placement and direction a bit. I have mine angled a bit down and toward the center of the tank, that seemed to have given me the best flow pattern. It will also depend on which powerhead you use. I tried the Nero 3 and absolutely hated the flow pattern it created, even though I think the powerhead itself is really good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back