Red Sea Reefer 250 Deluxe - Full Triton Build

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries then. Looks like you bought yours just before they switched. I will email Skimz to find out how much quieter the new DC pumps are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I danced back and forth this week on whether or not I should get new wave pumps. I really like the eFlux 660s but I do think they are a bit overrated in their flow. I'm concerned that I'm not getting the movement in the back /bottom of the tank as I see a fair bit of detritus build up there. After some research I just ordered a 3rd 660. I can control the flow of it individually and it just runs on constant stream mode. My plan is to put it really low and slow in the bottom of the tank.

I bought my first lot of sps at the @FraghouseCorals live sale and they arrived yesterday. I am really impressed with the size and color and hope I can keep them alive. ;Nailbiting;Nurse;Nailbiting
IMG_1832.JPG

I'm going to wait until I get back from Reefapalooza to mount them.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries then. Looks like you bought yours just before they switched. I will email Skimz to find out how much quieter the new DC pumps are.
I asked Skimz which of their skimmers are shipping with QP pumps and they totally ingnored that particular question but they did tell me I could use a QP as a feed pump for my external skimmer.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redid the 'fuge' today using black egg crate and more plastic canvas. Looks much cleaner. I raised it up a few inches as well so I have flow above and below.
IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1863.JPG
Here is my newest attempt. Hopefully this will prevent me from needing to get a custom baffle made.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the refugium working out?
It's working really well. Better than I expected. I added 10 Red Mangroves, I know they aren't contributing to nutrient export, but they are fun. I am just getting ready to cull the chaeto back a bit. Last Nitrate .25, phosphates 0.02. I'm still seeing film algae every 2-3 days on my glass, but other than that no nuisance algae issues.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an updated pano pic of the tank. I have added some sps as well. I had fun at RAP and spent too much money and then went to the PNWMAS Frag Fest this past weekend. I'm so glad I upsized the tank.
IMG_2021 (1).JPG

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 weeks into the new system. Finally got my Artfully Acrylic lid. Pretty happy with it. One of the cutouts is missing and they have yet to respond to my email regarding it. Kind of disappointed in the customer service after delivery and that it took 9 weeks for delivery. Love the quality and function of the lid. Going to try again to email.

Also, since I got my lid I have added my melanurus wrasse. This fish is one of the reason I wanted to upgrade my tank. I just think they are so beautiful and watching him glide through that tank, always on the hunt, is mesmerizing. I just hope he finds some nasties to eat!

10 weeks into Triton as well. I mailed off my second ICP test this morning. This time I got smart...I took the sample yesterday and also did full testing with my home kits so I can compare my accuracy to my ICP test. I pulled GFO a few weeks ago as I was really low nutrient. I added back some AL99 yesterday on a BRS reactor as my phosphates jumped up to .58. Nitrates could still go up a bit, they are at 1.25. I've been feeding really heavy to try and get them up and I guess I overdid it a bit.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10 weeks into the new system. Finally got my Artfully Acrylic lid. Pretty happy with it. One of the cutouts is missing and they have yet to respond to my email regarding it. Kind of disappointed in the customer service after delivery and that it took 9 weeks for delivery. Love the quality and function of the lid. Going to try again to email.

Also, since I got my lid I have added my melanurus wrasse. This fish is one of the reason I wanted to upgrade my tank. I just think they are so beautiful and watching him glide through that tank, always on the hunt, is mesmerizing. I just hope he finds some nasties to eat!

10 weeks into Triton as well. I mailed off my second ICP test this morning. This time I got smart...I took the sample yesterday and also did full testing with my home kits so I can compare my accuracy to my ICP test. I pulled GFO a few weeks ago as I was really low nutrient. I added back some AL99 yesterday on a BRS reactor as my phosphates jumped up to .58. Nitrates could still go up a bit, they are at 1.25. I've been feeding really heavy to try and get them up and I guess I overdid it a bit.
Hey man, sorry about the issue with the lid. Maybe give them a call if the email doesn't get a response. I have one of their lids, and they responded quickly to my email. Maybe your email just got missed somehow. I'm sure @ArtFully Acrylic will make good on it, though. They're good guys IME.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, sorry about the issue with the lid. Maybe give them a call if the email doesn't get a response. I have one of their lids, and they responded quickly to my email. Maybe your email just got missed somehow. I'm sure @ArtFully Acrylic will make good on it, though. They're good guys IME.
I've sent another email. I'll call Thursday if don't get an email response. I don't doubt they are good guys and I vouch for their quality product, but customer service is a big part of any business and they could do better. This statement is not based on a single missed email. In one of my last emails with them, before delivery, I was informed that they were experiencing quality issues and they had to do some maintenance, and production was shut down for a period. While I appreciate their commitment to quality, and am glad they didn't send me an inferior product, an update would have been nice. They have this forum as a communication venue and many people had been posting looking for order updates. It would not have taken more than a few minutes to post an update, in their own forum thread, about their delay. Proactive customer service is ALWAYS better than reactive.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an email this morning. My new lid is getting ready to ship today. This is more than I expected for compensation to correct the issue. They truly have stepped up and did apologize for the lack of email follow up.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:

A full three months up and running Triton w/ DIY sump.
Lots of fish and corals, everything doing really well. A few 'disappeared' fish, no evidence of death or jumping (cover on 24/7).
Pending a new ICP result. Have to resend as this batch got stuck at customs. Really happy with chemistry, although struggling a bit to get PO4 & NO3 up LOL. iPhone 6 pics, not great but tank is coming along.
IMG_2255[1].JPG

This is the only nuisance I seem to be dealing with...If anyone has some type of solution for it LOL...
IMG_2244[1].JPG

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay my BF hates my crappy iPhone pics so he has taken some for me, with white balance adjustment, to add to my thread.

The clown does not have white spots...it's particulate in the water column, courtesy of the sand sifting goby and not having filter socks. Just heading off any concerns before they are voiced.

DSC_1310 (2).jpg DSC_1315 (2).jpg DSC_1318 (2).jpg DSC_1324 (2).jpg DSC_1327 (2).jpg DSC_1330 (2).jpg DSC_1331 (2).jpg DSC_1332 (2).jpg DSC_1335 (2).jpg DSC_1336 (2).jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Melanurus. I thought about one but I only have a shallow sand bed so for a wrasse I'm going for a Mystery. They don't burrow.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go back to nano bubble scrubbing. I checked with Tim, from Triton, and he didn't think there was any reason not to. Night 2, just doing 4 hours a night to start. I had good results on the nano.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to do the bubble scrubbing?

Just a wooden air stone and a small air pump. I run it in the bubble trap of my sump so the larger bubbles float up and the micro-bubbles sink and get pulled into the return and then to the display. I run it 6 hours a night.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PiscesPower,
Looks like you made a DIY refugium for your sump. I'm going to replace my stock RSR 250 sump with a Synergy Triton sump so I won't need my ReefDreamsUK refugium baffle, if you're interested in buying I could let it go cheap....

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back