red sea reefer 250 lighting

Madimod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a red sea reefer 250 (in my living room)and I'd like to keep mostly Sps . Would two Xr15's be efficient if not does anyone else have any suggestions .
Thank you

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 1 orphek atlantik v4 and really like it.

20200116_180316.jpg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 XR’s would be just fine, I have 3 primes over mine and XR’s are about twice the light so just fine

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a red sea reefer 250 (in my living room)and I'd like to keep mostly Sps . Would two Xr15's be efficient if not does anyone else have any suggestions .
Thank you

No, not in my opinion and based on my experience using the Radion XR30w Pro and two AI Hydra 26 HDs. I'm running the latter two on a Reefer 250 and I'm already dealing with shadowing and light spread issues with frags. I think you need more fixtures than just two or, better yet, consider a non-puck-syle LED arrangement if you want to go with LED. The puck-based LED fixtures can work, but you need to consider light spread and shadowing.

TexanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not in my opinion and based on my experience using the Radion XR30w Pro and two AI Hydra 26 HDs. I'm running the latter two on a Reefer 250 and I'm already dealing with shadowing and light spread issues with frags. I think you need more fixtures than just two or, better yet, consider a non-puck-syle LED arrangement if you want to go with LED. The puck-based LED fixtures can work, but you need to consider light spread and shadowing.

Two diffused xr15's will be fine for a Reefer 250. Shadowing shouldn't be an issue unless your SPS coral is super grown out.

Acroalan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Maxspect RSX 200 on mine and really like it so far. SPS seedlings are doing well and have nice color under it. I'm using the tank mount legs that come standard and don't seem to have shadowing issues or disco effect. I loved the sleek fixture design over other LED mounting options. The 200 has four LED clusters that cover the full 36" span of the tank with good front to back coverage. I've only been using it for a few months now, so time will tell if it is long term viable. But so far I'm very happy. The newer Razor model includes additional led strips that mimic T5 supplements, but I chose not to go that route.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tottally agree. I ran Hydra's as well and once your sps start to get some size to them, you are going to deal with shadowing. At that point you will need to add T5 supplementation or some other alternative light. I did have some shadows w/ my orphek but it was due to a milli colony getting to big and overcasting over another coral.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tottally agree. I ran Hydra's as well and once your sps start to get some size to them, you are going to deal with shadowing. At that point you will need to add T5 supplementation or some other alternative light. I did have some shadows w/ my orphek but it was due to a milli colony getting to big and overcasting over another coral.
Exactly. I just ordered a 36” hybrid fixture to utilize both my existing LEDs and some T5s to resolve this issue.

OP
OP
Madimod

Madimod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. I just ordered a 36” hybrid fixture to utilize both my existing LEDs and some T5s to resolve this issue.
great info

reefer_mhk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Maxspect RSX 200 on mine and really like it so far. SPS seedlings are doing well and have nice color under it. I'm using the tank mount legs that come standard and don't seem to have shadowing issues or disco effect. I loved the sleek fixture design over other LED mounting options. The 200 has four LED clusters that cover the full 36" span of the tank with good front to back coverage. I've only been using it for a few months now, so time will tell if it is long term viable. But so far I'm very happy. The newer Razor model includes additional led strips that mimic T5 supplements, but I chose not to go that route.
I was looking at adding a Maxspect RSX 200 to my RSR250 as well. Would you mind posting some photos of what yours looks like on your tank?

Acroalan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a horrible picture that I snapped this morning before work when the lights were just starting to ramp up. So you cannot see the tank interior very well, but at least you can see what the fixture looks like on the tank.

Tank and light.jpg

OP
OP
Madimod

Madimod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a horrible picture that I snapped this morning before work when the lights were just starting to ramp up. So you cannot see the tank interior very well, but at least you can see what the fixture looks like on the tank.

Tank and light.jpg
looks good on the tank

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a smoking deal on 2 xr30 G4’s pros and put them on my 250 I know it’s over kill but light will never be a problem

1B785BC8-2CBA-4208-B6B9-522D9E5A60EB.jpeg

OP
OP
Madimod

Madimod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all these tanks look great , I decided to run two XR15 G5‘S . At some point I may add T5 supplementation . Thanks for all the great input

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knotched it a little once the mount is screwed in you hardly notice anything is missing

6D429DC9-B30A-4A48-A853-9048974A051B.jpeg 04903E52-1B20-4A31-86E2-3351AF331468.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back