Red Sea Reefer 300 G2+ UV suggestions

New2Reef2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to All! I hope everyone and their tank mates are safe and well!

I recently picked up the Red Sea Reefer 300 G2+, 65 Gal. Aquarium Kit using a Red Sea ReefRun 7000 DC Pump and need help from folks who have attached a UV sterilizer, preferably stainless steel. Primary focus on making sure the future tank mates are protected from disease, that being first goal. Second goal is water quality.

I plan on going with a FOwLR setup, bare bottom tank, and if anything, maybe rock at the base but definitely no sand.

I am using the Red Sea reefer skimmer and Fleecemat 1200 in this system as well.

Can anyone kindly guide me to what they are using or would honestly recommend?

Thanks to all!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a stand-alone pump for my UV, and you could certainly do the same. A second option is revising your plumbing to run everything through the UV and then to the return plumbing. A third option would be to build a manifold.

You'll probably want a 25-watt UV like a Aquaultraviolet Classic 25-watt.

OP
OP
N

New2Reef2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of a UV to the pump and then to the tank.

Never thought of a separate pump/uv system but that would get tricky with space.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never thought of a separate pump/uv system but that would get tricky with space.
If you connect the UV to the return pump, it is most likely that it will be effective for parasites. The flow would be too fast. But, I am a UV skeptic, so that it with a grain of salt.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to run your entire output through the UV you'll want to run the return pump into the UV inlet and the UV outlet to the return plumbing. Check the rated flow for the AquaUV Classic 25-watt - chances are you'll still be falling under that for parasite control.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, the best way to minimize outbreaks in your tank is to have rock-solid quarantine procedures in place. UV will not kill parasites or bacteria that are already on the fish. They both reproduce at different rates, bacteria can reproduce in minutes while parasites take days or weeks. So technically, you need two different sterilizers with two different flow rates to address each problem. With that said, they are not even guaranteed to work, as you have to hope that every parasite gets through the sterilizer before it gets to the host. Others say that it can help to manage it. I don't necessarily buy it. But even so, it won't eradicate the problem. Imo, I wouldn't toss $1500 at a "manager", I prefer buying livestock from reputable sources and letting the quarantine do the work.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different opinions on the usefulness of UV in reef tanks. Some people love them others don't. Some say they help in disease removal but I'm not sure if any authentic scientific studies support that because parasites attach to fish and populate the rock and sandbed with minimal amounts in the water column.

Then the question comes up that if you are nuking bad stuff in the water column are you nuking beneficial stuff too?

So a UV may offer some help in controlling algae and parasites in the water column but it certainly won't eliminate the problem and at what cost to your overall biome?

You may want to research the pros and cons more.

OP
OP
N

New2Reef2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, the best way to minimize outbreaks in your tank is to have rock-solid quarantine procedures in place. UV will not kill parasites or bacteria that are already on the fish. They both reproduce at different rates, bacteria can reproduce in minutes while parasites take days or weeks. So technically, you need two different sterilizers with two different flow rates to address each problem. With that said, they are not even guaranteed to work, as you have to hope that every parasite gets through the sterilizer before it gets to the host. Others say that it can help to manage it. I don't necessarily buy it. But even so, it won't eradicate the problem. Imo, I wouldn't toss $1500 at a "manager", I prefer buying livestock from reputable sources and letting the quarantine do the work.
Solid advice and I do thank you for that. I am just one to double up on things to make certain that my living tankmates stay healthy on top.

OP
OP
N

New2Reef2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any equipment, upgrades, etc you would recommend?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree with this

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any equipment, upgrades, etc you would recommend?
I have the same tank but gen 1. Get a slim 10g ATO reservoir to fit in your cabinet. The red sea doser fits very nice right on top of it too. I used all ecotch components so everything is on one app and easy to control also.

Attachments

• 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
N

New2Reef2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank but gen 1. Get a slim 10g ATO reservoir to fit in your cabinet. The red sea doser fits very nice right on top of it too. I used all ecotch components so everything is on one app and easy to control also.
I received their Sump in the package I am using. I am only doing Live rock and fish, no corals etc.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One piece of equipment that I would recommend to people is Ecotech MP powerheads. Some people hate them because they blow just straight, you can't adjust it, but I hate having any cords in my tank and they are easy to clean and are absolutely silent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back