Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 in Texas!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some beautiful photos of my new black widow bta from @TopShelfAquatics today and wanted to share. The dumb anemone parked itself on the backside of this rock for a few days, so I turned the rock around to encourage it to get some light. I’ll try feeding it in a few days.

IMG_4320.jpeg

IMG_4311.jpeg
IMG_4310.jpeg
BTA Looks great!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my ATO reservoir from a 6 gallon potable water jug to a 23 gallon slim Jim Rubbermaid. I drilled a couple small siphon breaks in the tubing near the top of the reservoir. I also made a “custom lid” out of spray painted cardboard. This should allow me to go many more days without having to worry about evaporation when I’m out of town! I linked the products I used below, very happy with the value.

Reservoir: https://amzn.to/41VC19G
ATO: https://amzn.to/3Sf3dNA

IMG_4375.jpeg
IMG_4376.jpeg
IMG_4377.jpeg
IMG_4378.jpeg
IMG_4380.jpeg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think the Orphek is a great fit! I took some photos because I was loving the pop and “sharpness” that the additional lighting seems to have added. I also added a new piece to my candy cane garden!

IMG_4420.jpeg
IMG_4424.jpeg
IMG_4426.jpeg
IMG_4427.jpeg
IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4430.jpeg
IMG_4431.jpeg
IMG_4432.jpeg
IMG_4433.jpeg
IMG_4434.jpeg
IMG_4435.jpeg
IMG_4436.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4438.jpeg
IMG_4439.jpeg
IMG_4441.jpeg
IMG_4443.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came up with a fun “collab” between my display and frag system. The frag system refugium has feather caulerpa that came in on @LiverockRocks TBS live rock, and is growing like crazy. I’m able to harvest it regularly and feed it on a two little fishies sea veggie clip in my display! Tango from @Biota_Marine and Angie the coral beauty love it, and the clowns and cleaner shrimp eat it too! I cannot emphasize enough how much of a pleasure it is to discover and foster synergies between my own systems, and between multiple sustainable vendors in our hobby!

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4455.jpeg
IMG_4456.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please also give a warm welcome to Benny, the Starry Blenny! My six line wrasse (Dyson) doesn’t like him, but as soon as Benny sits down on a rock, Dyson seems to forget his hatred and leave him alone.
IMG_4457.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you attach your piping to your reefmat?
The reefmat comes with flex tubing with screw-in fittings on the ends that is compatible with the threads already included in the reefer plumbing. Later on, I cut the flex ribbed tubing of the reefmat to make it a tighter fit. Give my thread a look through and you’ll see how I did it!

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reefmat comes with flex tubing with screw-in fittings on the ends that is compatible with the threads already included in the reefer plumbing. Later on, I cut the flex ribbed tubing of the reefmat to make it a tighter fit. Give my thread a look through and you’ll see how I did it!
I’m having a heck of a time fitting mine in cleanly.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So I came up with a fun “collab” between my display and frag system. The frag system refugium has feather caulerpa that came in on @LiverockRocks TBS live rock, and is growing like crazy. I’m able to harvest it regularly and feed it on a two little fishies sea veggie clip in my display! Tango from @Biota_Marine and Angie the coral beauty love it, and the clowns and cleaner shrimp eat it too! I cannot emphasize enough how much of a pleasure it is to discover and foster synergies between my own systems, and between multiple sustainable vendors in our hobby!

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4455.jpeg
IMG_4456.jpeg

That's cool man! I love when one system can help another. Whenever I have a little too much algae growing on something in the frag tank I simply place whatever it is in my display tank. 10 minutes later it will be completely wiped out of any algae and my tangs always appreciate the treat.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool man! I love when one system can help another. Whenever I have a little too much algae growing on something in the frag tank I simply place whatever it is in my display tank. 10 minutes later it will be completely wiped out of any algae and my tangs always appreciate the treat.
Hey… I’m still waiting for the build thread you slacker :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change and filter cleaning day! Here’s some footage for those of you who don’t believe or aren’t sure how well algae turf scrubbers work. I “harvest” the scrubber once every 2 weeks. I can only assume this algae would be growing in my display otherwise. Product also linked below, it’s a very easy to use drop-in-sump ATS, just like you would with a skimmer. They also make external ones that you can plumb like a reactor.

Icecap Algae Turf Scrubber: https://amzn.to/49QvPm4

IMG_4982.jpeg

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA has gotten quite a bit more plump and open lately, but also a bit more pale in color. Can’t tell if this is good or bad? At any rate, it seems to have gotten my clowns even more obsessed with it.
IMG_5007.jpeg

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA has gotten quite a bit more plump and open lately, but also a bit more pale in color. Can’t tell if this is good or bad? At any rate, it seems to have gotten my clowns even more obsessed with it.
IMG_5007.jpeg
Maybe a nutrient issue. In the past I’ve fed mine like 2-3 week and kept the green variety in 150ish par and reds around 200ish and had medium flow (enough to see them waving around most of the time). They tended to get darker, developed colorful tips and expanded about 2/3 of their possible size. I think most of us overdo the PAR for the common verities. At these PAR values I’ve never seen them reaching up to get more.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a nutrient issue. In the past I’ve fed mine like 2-3 week and kept the green variety in 150ish par and reds around 200ish and had medium flow (enough to see them waving around most of the time). They tended to get darker, developed colorful tips and expanded about 2/3 of their possible size. I think most of us overdo the PAR for the common verities. At these PAR values I’ve never seen them reaching up to get more.
I’m sure PAR isn’t an issue, I have it under kessils with an Orphek bar for extra coverage - on feeding, I did start feeding more recently which cause it to be more open more often. I did also used to have a nutrient issue (zero N and P) which I have rectified by feeding more aggressively and taking the cup off my skimmer. Hopefully the coloration improves with time!

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure PAR isn’t an issue, I have it under kessils with an Orphek bar for extra coverage - on feeding, I did start feeding more recently which cause it to be more open more often. I did also used to have a nutrient issue (zero N and P) which I have rectified by feeding more aggressively and taking the cup off my skimmer. Hopefully the coloration improves with time!
I find with my bubble tips the bigger they got the less color they got. But in a sense of same color patterns from before just more spread out. So not a rainbow, more of a splatter. Still happy and healthy nonetheless, yours looks the same! Also if you have any fatties in your tank feeding can be a pain with having to sit there for 10-20 mins while you swallow. I have 2 purple tangs and 1 cleaner that will gorge on anything that a coral or anemone is eating if I don't protect it. The tangs even attached my tongs to try to get the food...

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find with my bubble tips the bigger they got the less color they got. But in a sense of same color patterns from before just more spread out. So not a rainbow, more of a splatter. Still happy and healthy nonetheless, yours looks the same! Also if you have any fatties in your tank feeding can be a pain with having to sit there for 10-20 mins while you swallow. I have 2 purple tangs and 1 cleaner that will gorge on anything that a coral or anemone is eating if I don't protect it. The tangs even attached my tongs to try to get the food...
Oh yes, I know what you mean believe me - I have to guard the nem with the feeding stick to swat away the cleaner shrimps :grinning-squinting-face:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back