OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was extremely lucky to get a pair of Black Storm Clownfish to my fish stock list. I have been waiting a while for these gems to show up in the market and my supplier Candy Corals was kind enough to bring the pair for me....Surprisingly the black storm clowns and my existing pair of Platinum clowns hang around togather. There is no aggression what so ever between the two kinds i guess because they are all babies an inch and under in size so that helps...regardless its nice to see them all swimming togather...here is a small clip of the black storms....
0550fe468dfa7edcc8f5954ae203f5bb.jpg

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys
I feel very excited to finally start a build thread on my dream tank. It is going to be a Red Sea Reefer 450 which i will be picking up tonite from a local reefer in GTA. I am cutting no corners on the equipment list on this tank as i believe you do it right the first time. Set It and Forget It...lol...The plan is to have a Mixed Reef so far we will see what the future entails...On the aquascape i like islands however i have found myself changing the aquascape down to wall scape since it looks more natural to me and gives you tons of real estate to mount corals. Ofcourse you gotta have good flow behind the rocks to keep those nutrients in check...Here is the equipment list so far which i have ordered and probably will be delivered in a week's time....

Light:
- ATI 48" 6 bulb non dimmable high output T5 supplemented with
- 1 x 48" Reefbrite XHO

Flow:
- Return Pump : Ecotech Vectra M1
- 2 x MP40 QD
- Vortech Battery Back Up for MP40 PUMPS.

Filtration:
- Skimmer : Reef Octopus DC- Regal 150-SSS
- 1 x GFO reactor
- 1 x Chaeto Reactor

I do not have any pictures yet however as things gets available to me i will upload the pictures. All my current live stock will be moved from my IM50 Lagoon to the new system over the span of months as i am in no rush to move them or sell my existing system. Patience and taking each step at a time is the key.

For all those structural nards lol: The tank will sit on the main floor above my basement on an exterior wall. The Joists on the floor are running perpendicular across to the tank. So the tank will span out over 3-4 joists. Weight and structrual integrity of the floor has been taken into consideration after consulting with a structural engineer who ran some mathematically formulas and gave me a thumbs up...wait a min did i said math i am confused lol....need a coffee now long write up....

So thats it for now...let the fun begin...pics to follow for now i have to get some help tonite to pick up the tank....asta la vista....
following

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 2 months since this tank has started. I have had minor hiccups here and there in terms of tank maturing and chemistry but overall everything seems to be coming along...sps are still adjusting however montis and other easy sps such as purple bonsai and birds of paradise have done well...this weekend my alkalinity went up to 9dkh...funny how as i test my alk every sat and it has stayed around 8.5dkh constantly...i have adjusted my dose of alk and cal a little to bring things down gradually to where i want...i am keeping it around 8-8.5 to encourage growth fyi.....

Here is a picture taken today which also completes my scape....overall not so bad...what do u guys think?
4f784768ba349d6bed1010be2af23e25.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the random flow generators? I’m starting a Red Sea build soon and planing on a set of those
i like them to be honest. The water is dispersed in an uneven pattern which is great for the corals and fishes...

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday i visited my friend Afnan’s store called Candy Corals in Brampton, Ontario. Pretty much 90% of my corals are from him. I was looking for a not so common Blue Nepthea and Afnan was able to acquire it from his Australian suppliers...I was very excited when he called me 3 weeks ago informing me about the arrival of this coral. I couldn’t wait but having been shipped recently he suggested to wait for sometime before i pick it up from him. This will give the coral time to settle in his system as well and he could see the true potential as well...Ofcourse when you go to any LFS you dont just buy one thing right lol...bought mysel a nice size colony of Dragon
Soul Favia with the blue Nepthea...it was really hard to get the blue color but using brown filter i was able to capture some blue of it...hope you enjoy it....
9c0ace03203c0e80ed9d4ca39adc1988.jpg

BigMo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday i visited my friend Afnan’s store called Candy Corals in Brampton, Ontario. Pretty much 90% of my corals are from him. I was looking for a not so common Blue Nepthea and Afnan was able to acquire it from his Australian suppliers...I was very excited when he called me 3 weeks ago informing me about the arrival of this coral. I couldn’t wait but having been shipped recently he suggested to wait for sometime before i pick it up from him. This will give the coral time to settle in his system as well and he could see the true potential as well...Ofcourse when you go to any LFS you dont just buy one thing right lol...bought mysel a nice size colony of Dragon
Soul Favia with the blue Nepthea...it was really hard to get the blue color but using brown filter i was able to capture some blue of it...hope you enjoy it....
9c0ace03203c0e80ed9d4ca39adc1988.jpg

WoW, very nice, I really like the color, congratulations on the new coral, it worth the wait.

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
87260AA9-BEFC-4371-86F2-2B0117E5BE13.jpeg

Been reading on ur tread for ideas hope you don’t mind and finally picked up my Redsea 450 Saturday so will be building soon!!!

Not at all and the whole reason for me to create the thread is to share with fellow reefers so they can pick something from my thread..its all about helping each others bro.....and congratulations on your reefer 450 you will love it...

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read on one of the facebook groups about the Aquarium Cam app which i thought to give it a try. For $3.99 it wasn’t a bad deal to try out. I was surprised to see some of the pictures this app can take showcasing the beauty of your corals and fishes etc. The app has inbuilt filters and couple of options which you can figure out once you start playing with it. Let’s just say if I can figure it out who has no clue on filters etc anyone can lol..I believe this app is available on AppStore as well as on Android. I took some pictures yesterday under blues and was just stunned to see how they came out. I have grouped the pictures in a single slide since Tapatalk does not allow to group all pictures in one write up. Enjoy.....

b5ae12d8be1314fb927a6ad1656cc668.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw another great video from a youtuber that i follow and he is here on R2R as well. His youtube id is "Coral Euphoria". In this episode he explains how continuously adding kalkwasser to your tank is beneficial for your tank and how it balances out your parameters EVEN IF you use 2 part dosing or Calcium Reactor. Since i had the kalkwasser on hand i was thinking of somehow incorporating it into my system alongwith the 2 part dosing, however i did not wanted to use it as in my ATO. The reason being kalkwasser can and will damage my Tunze ATO pump sooner or later. I thought about kalk reactor but that could be expensive. I wanted to incorporate it as a drip method with something not too expensive. I thought about using IV bags feeding the kalkwasser using gravity but these IV bags are too small and i would have to refill them almost every other day. Than it clicked me. I had the RedSea provided 3.6 gallons ATO reservoir which i am not using as an ATO due to its small water holding capacity sitting in my garage. For my ATO i am using a 7 Gallon external reservoir. I thought i can place the redsea provide ato reservoir in its assigned spot on the sump and use the small hole to drip kalkwasser. This hole is at the bottom left corner which is basically designed to work using gravity and a float valve. However after a second thought i decided not to use this hole at all as kalkwasser will have some slurry at the bottom (even though i mix my solution in a different bucket before adding it to this tank after letting it sit overnite). The slurry can potentially crash your tank. So i blocked that hold with an airline ball valve, filled up the reservoir with tap water and let it sit outside in my laundry room to test if there is any leak from the hole or the ball valve while the kalk was settling in a different bucket overnite. Next day morning when i went to see if there is any leaks Bingo no leak what so ever. So now i know i can use this reservoir. Next thing i did was simple just went an bought myself a Tom's aqua-lifter dosing pump installed it and connected it to my Apex using an OSC programme. For now i am running it only for 30 seconds at the beginning of every hour which adds 2.5ml (10-12 drops approx). I want to go slow and monitor my alk and pH before i start increasing the dosage. This will help me balance out any shortcomings or gaps created by 2 part as well as maintain a stable pH...I have tested Alk before i started kalk last night it was at 7.32dKH. After the night dose of kalkwasser and my 2 part dosing of Alk (25ml) i tested my Alk this morning and it was at 7.69dKH...i wanted to add it only at night but than i decided to run it for 24 hrs and see the difference while testing Alk every 8 hours and keeping an eye on my pH. Fingers crossed wish me good luck..and thanks for sticking around for this boring story lol...

01.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week of running kalkwasser I am very pleased to report it has worked really well so far. My Alkalinity is pretty solid at 8 dkh which has helped my acros to bounce back and color up. Since my acros have showed signs of colouring back up i have started adding some new frags to the tank.

Here is a funny story, so this Sunday i bought a baby Jawbreaker mushroom from one of my buddy. It’s as tiny as half a centimetre when closed up. He had his foot attached to a rock rubble which was glued to a frag pluck. I placed him in my tank on the right front corner where the flow is minimal with indirect lighting. When i went to see him after work on monday to my surprise I couldn’t not find it. The shroom had detached its footing from the pluck and gone hunting....i kept on searching it in my tank but it was just not possible to find a small tiny shroom in a 5ft long tank...i kept on looking stirred the sand a little bit, increased the flow of my MP40s to 100% but to no avail. I finally gave up however was hopeful that when my actinic blues are one i would be able to see its orange color popping out from somewhere still no luck...Than it happened just 15mins before my lights go off to a complete darkness is when my orange back wrasse went to his tunnel under the rock structure on the right and started clearing the sand debris from under the rock...well guess what as soon as she flapped her tail to move the sand the shroom came out....i instantly turned off all the flow in my tank, captured him with a turkey blaster and put him in a makeshift Tupperware container with some sand and grains of rocks. You could see it in the picture below as a small orange dot lol...lesson learned from this is if you get an expensive shroom they will or might decide to go down south and it is better to put them in a container first until they are steady and grown to a good size....enjoy the pictures....happy reefing...
9f3c721a9ed4afe148bd2cf1ddb3ce45.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i just realized i havent updated this thread over a month now. My apologies as sometimes you get carried away in your day to day life and other activities...having said that i have'nt forgotten my tank at all..As a matter of fact i have been gathering a lot of corals during holidays to try and establish the tank for future growth. Also during holidays i installed a 20x20x10 cube frag tank on its own as a seperate system. This tank is placed right besides my display so kinda helps in acclimating any new fish and coral to my display. It really works for fish acclimation as the fish from display and frag tank looks at each others all the time...I was very lucky to acquire my gem coral i.e. a master grade Rainbow Brain. I have been waiting for this coral to come to my lfs for a while. Enjoy the pictures...

Brain Coral.jpg

tanks.jpg

coral.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back