OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on adding a UV Sterilizer?
considering It but I’ve already spent so much I need to take a break. Just ordered a kamoer doser to dose the additional 4 things I’ll need to do the complete Red Sea program. Still waiting on delivery of the 2 Neptune dos I ordered Black Friday. I’m gonna run it for a bit without one then reassess in a few months.

OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the water and she’s ready for a fish!! And cuc. Now to decide on what to add first!
I used the Red Sea mature reef program and have to say it worked nicely for me with dry rock in the display and a few pieces of live rock and a cycled sponge in the sump.

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful.

i like to add fish first keep lights off. be sure tank handles the load. then cuc and coral.

obviously you know what youre doing. i mostly just commented to follow.

OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the redsea mature method as well.

works great. I had some issues with the NOPOX but all is well now
Did you continue with the red sea program after cycling? I'm going all in, hoping that it's worth it. Going to dosing 8 things a day through dosers and 2 manually.

OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful.

i like to add fish first keep lights off. be sure tank handles the load. then cuc and coral.

obviously you know what youre doing. i mostly just commented to follow.
Fair point, but in the Red Sea program they actually recommend you add the CUC first. But Christmas happened and I'm behind my schedule so I figured to add a fish and CUC together. Not the whole lot, maybe just 30% of what I would ultimately stock.
And I've only been reefing for a year so no, I don't always know what I'm doing lol

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point, but in the Red Sea program they actually recommend you add the CUC first. But Christmas happened and I'm behind my schedule so I figured to add a fish and CUC together. Not the whole lot, maybe just 30% of what I would ultimately stock.
And I've only been reefing for a year so no, I don't always know what I'm doing lol
no worries on only a year. a year of experience is different for everybody. one guy might research 5 hours in a whole year, the next might research 10 hours every week.

i go for fish first to give a foundation for the cuc to survive on.

limiting the ammount of cuc you put in at first is a great idea for their survivability.

i have no knowledge of the program your using but im interested to watch the progress.

OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose NOPOX MAG CAL and ALK
Cool. I'm going all in Red Sea and dosing their cal, alk, mag, nopox, and the 4 trace element bottles. Plus reef energy A and B. So that's 10 things a day. I have 2 Neptune Dos awaiting pick up at the post office and just ordered the Kamoer F4 as I couldn't justify spending the money for 2 more dos. I'm thinking I'll use the 2 dos for the most important (the first 4) and use the kamoer for the trace elements. The reef energy needs to be refrigerated so that will be added by hand. I hope it pays off!

OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries on only a year. a year of experience is different for everybody. one guy might research 5 hours in a whole year, the next might research 10 hours every week.

i go for fish first to give a foundation for the cuc to survive on.

limiting the ammount of cuc you put in at first is a great idea for their survivability.

i have no knowledge of the program your using but im interested to watch the progress.
I'm closer to 10 hours a week than 5 hours a year ;)
So far I'd recommend the reef mature program. And I'm interested to see the progress too using the Red Sea reef care program after. It's 10 additives a day which is a lot but I'm hoping there's something behind the process and that it will be worth it. It's a huge investment just getting enough dosers to add it, so fingers crossed.

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I'm going all in Red Sea and dosing their cal, alk, mag, nopox, and the 4 trace element bottles. Plus reef energy A and B. So that's 10 things a day. I have 2 Neptune Dos awaiting pick up at the post office and just ordered the Kamoer F4 as I couldn't justify spending the money for 2 more dos. I'm thinking I'll use the 2 dos for the most important (the first 4) and use the kamoer for the trace elements. The reef energy needs to be refrigerated so that will be added by hand. I hope it pays off!
I have 4 DOS running

DOS One - ALK CAL
DOS Two - MAG Nopox
DOS Three - kalkwasser
DOS Four - Auto Water Change

addicted to Neptune LOL

OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I have picked a tinier fish to be the first addition?! Lol

I’ve really messed up in stocking the 20 gal which was supposed to be a QT...I’m not ready to move the coral over yet and I can’t catch the fish in there without moving everything around! Did a water change last night and didn’t even catch the banggai. E8B5CD70-1651-4470-8DD0-62647B7B0E82.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7479.MOV
    42.4 MB
OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been a few weeks since I last posted but what a few weeks it has been. I added a gorgeous pair of black ice clowns and a 1 spot fox face. And then Snowmageddon 2020 happened. We bought a generator the day before the big storm and had hoped we could back power into an outlet to the panel. When the power went the next day, that didn't work. Ended up ripping the house apart and getting every extension cord we could find as well as power bars. Power was gone for 2 full days during a blizzard with over 200kph gusts and sustained winds over 120. We had cords going all over the house for 12 tanks and then one overloaded and started to melt. We then lost 1/3 of our available power. We lose all heat and water when power goes out.

I couldn't get the apex to be powered by the generator and was terrified I messed it up by trying. At first I couldn't get the sump running but on the second day I ripped a bunch of stuff out of the Apex and plugged it into another power bar and that managed to work. Out of 12 tanks, we only lost 1 panda cory in an upstairs freshwater tank. It was a horrible situation and I had the whole family sleep in one room on the main floor so we could get out easily if any fire started.

Our city was in a State of Emergency for 7 whole days. I had a lot of fish food, but the humans ran low on milk and beer lol. Was a rough go, but my saltwater fish seem little worse the wear!

If you haven't heard of this blizzard please google Snowmageddon NL 2020, you'll get to see some wild pics.

Back to the 525, my lid should be en route soon (I ordered a custom acrylic lid from Concept Aquariums) and I want to add more fish! I've bought 2 purple firefish that are on hold for me at my reef guys place, perhaps add some anthias soon as well!

Parameters are getting good! Nitrate 10, Phosphate 0.028, time to add coral soon!

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't heard of this blizzard please google Snowmageddon NL 2020, you'll get to see some wild pics.
We were vacationing in England during the blizzard your city experienced but I was following along in the news every day. I was showing people in England how crazy it was, because some of them have never seen snow like that! They couldn't believe the pictures of the cars buried... and quite honestly neither could I. I've never seen anything like it. I'm from "Winterpeg" and we get really cold and quite a bit of snow, but man oh man your storm was something on a whole new level! Glad you made it through safe and sound. Really sad to hear about that 26 year old that went missing. Not sure if they ever found him, yet. Super sad.

OP
OP
Candace Summers

Candace Summers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were vacationing in England during the blizzard your city experienced but I was following along in the news every day. I was showing people in England how crazy it was, because some of them have never seen snow like that! They couldn't believe the pictures of the cars buried... and quite honestly neither could I. I've never seen anything like it. I'm from "Winterpeg" and we get really cold and quite a bit of snow, but man oh man your storm was something on a whole new level! Glad you made it through safe and sound. Really sad to hear about that 26 year old that went missing. Not sure if they ever found him, yet. Super sad.
Sadly, that story did not have a good ending. It took about 4-5 days but they finally found his body. At least his parents can lay him to rest and have closure, but
sadly, that story did not have a happy ending. They found his body 5 or 6 days after he went missing

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back