Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL Build

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

My wife and I are long time owners of freshwater low-tech and high-tech planted tanks and are looking to make the jump into Saltwater with a Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 system.

We're looking to keep our budget below $6.5k for all equipment including tank and cabinet and want to optimize for as much plug and play automation resulting in lower maintenance and lower hassle where we can.

What recommendations would you have for this final build out?

Thanks,
Geoff

Mike27t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my new getting back into the hobby build. I went with a reefer 350 with final price tag around 7500-8k. That included everything including G5s, Vortechs, apex, triton, DOS, etc. The lights and automation of the Apex took up a good portion of the budget.

I think the first question most will ask is what are your intentions with the new tank? Fish only, mixed reef, sps?

You can def keep it under that budget if you buy some items used. Check out the marketplace for some great deals.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're long term shooting for a mixed reef tank but will be targeting easier coral and fish until we've gotten the hang of the hobby.

Watched the whole BRS setup series and will do a 1 month nitrogen cycle while we quarantine some livestock, then do 2-4 months of no lights with added Heterotrophic Bacteria, fish, and cleaning crews, then switch the lights on after the tank gets fully established and start introducing coral

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is to take it slow while you learn the ropes. Great choice in tank Tho. The 625 xl is what I want to upgrade to eventually..

Don’t know what equipment you’ve been considering but here’s some recommendations for you while you start. I’m a believer in buy stuff right the first time so your equipment lasts. when The reefing bug hits you hard in 6 months you’ll be glad you bought good equipment.

There’s a lot of EXTRAS in this hobby and costs can escalate very quick. eventually you’ll want the apex and some other things that will make your tank and your life easier to manage..

some pieces of equipment I would consider To get going.

salt. I use Reef crystals ( budget friendly )or tropic Marin
get a refractometer

heater- I’m using a fluval m 300 Currently. 300 watt
get a heater in the 300 -350 watt range. Finnex titanium is another good choice

return pump. Fluval Sp, mag drive ( high wattage but a powerhouse) or a reef octopus varios

powerheads, lights and skimmer .

powerheads _ mp40’s or TUNZE 6095
or buy one of each and your good

lights _ ATI T5 fixture 6 bulb or radion or AI leds.

skimmers- great white GW , reef octopus elite 200

definitely also splurge on a tunze ato. Makes like a lot easier. Find a 10 gallon rubbermaid or food safe container for Top off water.

drop in a raw shrimp and start the cycle!!

these Are just some suggestions.

Enjoy your build!!

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these Red Seas ever go on sale? I called a couple LFS and sounds like they all charge $200 - $400 more than BRS or MarineDepot. I was surprised, one guy told me he only makes $400 retail mark up off the price he pays in shop.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Christmas they go on sale slightly sometimes. If your LFS is charging more than BRS then they are ripping you off. Red Sea has a fixed MSRP and that’s that.

Keep in mind, you want to go with a place that will possibly give you points or cash credit in store when you buy. When I bought all my gear, I was set up for 10% back on every dollar spent. When I was done I was able to get a $850 light for $1. So find a place that will benefit you. BTW, my good deal was with my LFS. Yes, I paid sales tax, but I pay sales tax with BRS too.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys recommend any LFS near LA, OC, or San Diego? Also, anyone own a Waterbox, was looking at those since they are imperial and not metric (sounds like the metric tubing is a PIA for Red Sea). Was reading Waterbox had bad QC, though.

Mike27t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked mine up from LAX Aquarium. Kris was a pleasure to work with, highly recommend. They have a good inventory in stock and also had a waterbox tank/stand when I was there this past weekend.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked mine up from LAX Aquarium. Kris was a pleasure to work with, highly recommend. They have a good inventory in stock and also had a waterbox tank/stand when I was there this past weekend.

How much credit did you receive 10% like mentioned?

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger on a ProClear Aquatics Systems ProStar 200 Gallon, i'll start a build thread up as we get that going. Was able to snag a v2 from LiveAquaria with a 15% discount code for $2100 all-in including shipping and tax.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger on a ProClear Aquatics Systems ProStar 200 Gallon, i'll start a build thread up as we get that going. Was able to snag a v2 from LiveAquaria with a 15% discount code for $2100 all-in including shipping and tax.
That’s a interesting tank. I looked it up. It’s a new brand near as I can tell. Good luck and look forward to the build.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah I was actually looking at that and see if the coupon works or not for a friend. Congrats!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back