RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
07790A69-2CF4-473F-BD8D-329AAB7B9BA2.jpeg

Someone posted the side bowing on their 750.
No surprise there. That's what caused the panel in question to bow and create a gap under the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmm.. 1 post, the only post they have is the day they posted this... Yea, someone who got banned perhaps? Good Troll attempt though.
I actually used to keep all of my Fw tanks in this manner on those same blocks - I never had a problem.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh this thread is freaking me out.
Technically, insurance could deny claims past this point. There are all sorts of grey areas with maintaining/running products which have known flaws and insurance.

It’s nice of RS to finally admit a mistake but they do need to step up...right now I see this as 3k down the drain. I don’t understand how the retrofit can be in production at the same time as their customer service not knowing what the design will look like?! Sorry but just doesn’t make sense.

Draining the tank for the retrofit, if needed, would add more $$$ damage for anyone with established corals.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you still be talking about draining the tank when RS has said draining will not be required for this patch?

CelticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is sad but really isn’t much of a surprise based on the stand materials they use I really wanted a reefer350 but all it took was a visit to my local LFS one look at the reefer stands and I knew to run away. In CA with earthquakes no way would I put that much weight on those tiny “marine grade” panels and expect anything but a disaster.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh this thread is freaking me out.
Technically, insurance could deny claims past this point. There are all sorts of grey areas with maintaining/running products which have known flaws and insurance.

It’s nice of RS to finally admit a mistake but they do need to step up...right now I see this as 3k down the drain. I don’t understand how the retrofit can be in production at the same time as their customer service not knowing what the design will look like?! Sorry but just doesn’t make sense.

Draining the tank for the retrofit, if needed, would add more $$$ damage for anyone with established corals.

I don't think the insurance part is true - but I had the same worries. The company has put in a 'fix' - that is supposed to 'fix' the problem (much like a car recall) - which of course if the car had an accident - would be covered. That said. if a person did not do the fix (neglect) - or attempted to fix it themselves (voiding the warranty) - that could be a problem. If a person noticed sagging - and bubbles and did nothing (neglect) - that would be a problem

If someone follows the procedures for RedSea - I think it would be covered by insurance. BUT - I agree with you - it is a 'worry' that one 'just doesn't need'

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the insurance part is true - but I had the same worries. The company has put in a 'fix' - that is supposed to 'fix' the problem (much like a car recall) - which of course if the car had an accident - would be covered. That said. if a person did not do the fix (neglect) - or attempted to fix it themselves (voiding the warranty) - that could be a problem. If a person noticed sagging - and bubbles and did nothing (neglect) - that would be a problem

If someone follows the procedures for RedSea - I think it would be covered by insurance. BUT - I agree with you - it is a 'worry' that one 'just doesn't need'

agreed once the retrofit is installed. However, until then we are technically not supposed to be “using” our tanks.

I was subject to a small car recall a few years back, the recall letter from bmw stated that I must not drive the car due to insurance issues and they provided a temp vehicle.

my 750 is a bit over a year old now, no issues to date, but as you say it’s an unnecessary worry...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agreed once the retrofit is installed. However, until then we are technically not supposed to be “using” our tanks.

I was subject to a small car recall a few years back, the recall letter from bmw stated that I must not drive the car due to insurance issues and they provided a temp vehicle.

my 750 is a bit over a year old now, no issues to date, but as you say it’s an unnecessary worry...
Thats not true - and RedSea has put out a letter here is a copy - in case (god forbid) - you have a problem:

Good afternoon,

Failing the “Paper Test” is not a cause for concern.

The Red Sea tanks are designed to be fully supported by the cabinet perimeter (sides and rear wall) and the internal wall on the larger models that have them. This is more than enough support to ensure the integrity of the tanks. The cabinet top board sits inside the side walls and its contact with the bottom of the tank is a function of the assembly and the straightness of the board itself which also has a small manufacturing tolerance of more than a few paper thicknesses. The function of top board is to hold the sides and rear wall firmly together and square to each other.

This design is working perfectly, as backed up by the absolutely insignificant failure rate that enables us to extend our warranty on our silicone to 3 years. Only in the case of the XXL750, due to its large dimensions, as soon as we identified a higher than normal failure rate we took affirmative action. Our post about the XXL750 advised about a combination of a sagging cabinet top board and air bubbles in the bottom silicone seal. Failing the “Paper Test” alone has no real significance even for the XXL750 but as previously mentioned, due to the size of the aquarium we decided to err on the side of caution.

All Red Sea tanks and cabinets are produced in our own factory according to western manufacturing standards and strict quality procedures and we are confident of the craftsmanship and longevity of our systems.

Best Regards,

Amanda Tennant

Customer Service

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but retrofit kit for repair is politically correct for bandaid repair.
Will it work yes but most likely not the best way to repair a problem

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They think three years is some big deal to offer? These tanks at that cost should have a ten year warranty standard. The normal one year is ridiculous.
I am worried about my 750XXL but honestly I think RedSea tanks are surprisingly cheap. I would love a 10 year warranty but If I were to have ordered a tank sump and stand from a custom builder It would have cost me double what the RedSea cost. Years ago I had LeeMar make me a rimless 5x2x2 Starfire tank that cost $2500 my local stand builder quoted me $3000 for a custom stand plus a premium if I wanted it in white and the last 40in sump I had made cost me $500.

Yes $3000 is alot of money but Reefers are a Steal when it comes to pricing. The Lee Mar tank had a 5 year warranty. 10 year warranties are nearly unheard of in this industry.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would you still be talking about draining the tank when RS has said draining will not be required for this patch?
Possibly because it sounds like they aren't sure what the 'fix' Is? (I.e.. things could change) but I agree with you they have said it will not be needed.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried about my 750XXL but honestly I think RedSea tanks are surprisingly cheap. I would love a 10 year warranty but If I were to have ordered a tank sump and stand from a custom builder It would have cost me double what the RedSea cost. Years ago I had LeeMar make me a rimless 5x2x2 Starfire tank that cost $2500 my local stand builder quoted me $3000 for a custom stand plus a premium if I wanted it in white and the last 40in sump I had made cost me $500.

Yes $3000 is alot of money but Reefers are a Steal when it comes to pricing. The Lee Mar tank had a 5 year warranty. 10 year warranties are nearly unheard of in this industry.
There's a big difference between an all wood, furniture quality custom stand and what RS sells. Apples and orange IMO.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a big difference between an all wood, furniture quality custom stand and what RS sells. Apples and orange IMO.
Even with this taken into account the last tank I ordered close to the size of an XXL 750 was $2500 for the tank alone sump cost$500 at that point the stand is essentially free on the XXl 750

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with this taken into account the last tank I ordered close to the size of an XXL 750 was $2500 for the tank alone sump cost$500 at that point the stand is essentially free on the XXl 750

I personally don't try to justify a clear failure. It was negligence, said and done. Insufficient testing, I assume not consulting with an engineer in the field, and trying to minimize costs beyond what is possible.

Try to tell the people whose tank exploded that "Its okay, if you think about it, the stand was free". :oops:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't try to justify a clear failure. It was negligence, said and done. Insufficient testing, I assume not consulting with an engineer in the field, and trying to minimize costs beyond what is possible.

Try to tell the people whose tank exploded that "Its okay, if you think about it, the stand was free". :oops:
This is not what I mean. If you read my initial post it was in regard to someone commenting that for the price of a RedSea Tank there should be a 10 year warranty. I only posted this to point out the RedSea tanks are not a truly premium product. I love mine but a truly premium tank would be twice as expensive and still not have a 10 year warranty. What makes RedSea tanks special is value for your dollar which is great but you cannot expect premium quality without a premium price.

By the way, even Aqueon tanks have stands that don't bow so there is no excuse.

I guess my biggest shock is with people's expectations. I have heard of nearly every brand of tank failing at some point but I feel RedSea has done exactly what i would expect any company to do. There are enough intact XXL750s that I think Red Sea's biggest error was not idiot proofing the design. I am sure they mathematically calculated that the weight should be supported but people don't screw things in all the way, don't level the tank perfectly, have water spills and suddenly the stand starts to bow. They should have built in more margin for error but it sounds like they are making it right so I don't understand the outrage.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone seen or heard any news on this. I did fill out the support request forum. guess I am on the list just curious if any new news on the subject?
or if anyone has seen the blue prints for the fix?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back