RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not extremely concerned at the moment as my 350 has no gap, but i can't say this hasn't worried me enough that even though I only have the 350, I will want to plan for a tank change before my tank gets to the 3 year mark, just in case. Is there any tank out there with similar design that has a sturdier construction for both tank seams and stand? Will rimless last as long as our old framed tanks? What is the life span of these tanks vs. framed ones?

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not extremely concerned at the moment as my 350 has no gap, but i can't say this hasn't worried me enough that even though I only have the 350, I will want to plan for a tank change before my tank gets to the 3 year mark, just in case. Is there any tank out there with similar design that has a sturdier construction for both tank seams and stand? Will rimless last as long as our old framed tanks? What is the life span of these tanks vs. framed ones?

People have said the waterbox stands are constructed a lot better. Take a look at planet aquariums also.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Call Redsea - simple *though they might be blowing smoke:
Good afternoon,

Failing the “Paper Test” is not a cause for concern.

The Red Sea tanks are designed to be fully supported by the cabinet perimeter (sides and rear wall) and the internal wall on the larger models that have them. This is more than enough support to ensure the integrity of the tanks. The cabinet top board sits inside the side walls and its contact with the bottom of the tank is a function of the assembly and the straightness of the board itself which also has a small manufacturing tolerance of more than a few paper thicknesses. The function of top board is to hold the sides and rear wall firmly together and square to each other.

This design is working perfectly, as backed up by the absolutely insignificant failure rate that enables us to extend our warranty on our silicone to 3 years. Only in the case of the XXL750, due to its large dimensions, as soon as we identified a higher than normal failure rate we took affirmative action. Our post about the XXL750 advised about a combination of a sagging cabinet top board and air bubbles in the bottom silicone seal. Failing the “Paper Test” alone has no real significance even for the XXL750 but as previously mentioned, due to the size of the aquarium we decided to err on the side of caution.

All Red Sea tanks and cabinets are produced in our own factory according to western manufacturing standards and strict quality procedures and we are confident of the craftsmanship and longevity of our systems.

SRT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what was sent to me when I sent them an email inquiring, you all already saw the original replies I got that Harold posted, these are the latest.

8B628278-4C4F-4FFD-9AD0-1D710C8566E7.png
4ECE8B3F-C1D9-4190-84EB-2D934562C881.png

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I THINK that this whole issue is solely about the stand not beeing to par. The tank itself on a good stand is probably totally fine.

If I had a RS tank and got a chance to break it down for some reason and restart it I think I would add a very rigid layer underneath the tank, something like a 2" cast slab of reinforced concrete or a piece of black diabase counter top or something like that. I think it could be made to complement the tank AND give it a lot of extra support and rigidity.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 250 the whole upper front support and bottom has dropped down... It is lower than the sides..

This is a shot right above the door and is the same on both sides. You can see the tank sitting on the side.

1570045018330.png

The other side.. a little harder to see but you can see it...

1570045197912.png
Where the tank is sitting on the sides, is there matting there between the cabinet and glass? Or is the glass itself on the cabinet?

NVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the stand may be plywood, the doors don't appear to be. I've seen several of these on display and the doors are all falling apart. Perhaps the XXLs are different? I believe the one I saw on display was a 425. I'll give them some leeway due to the stand taking a lot of abuse due to being in a public setting, but I do wonder what the long term life of these stands are. At this price point I can't help but question why they are even messing around? Extruded aluminum stands would have worked and are also easily shipped. There are other threads complaining about the quality of the plumbing used. Numerous people complain about how the ATO system works.

Is the profit margin on these tanks so low that they're willing to skimp in these areas? Once people start considering multiple thousands of dollars for a tank, especially in the 3, 4, and 5 thousand range; you'd expect higher quality.

This has been mentioned a few times on both of these threads, both the Red Sea Peninsula series and the XXLs stands are made from Marine grade plywood. It is not a material issue, it's a design issue that's plaguing these stands.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the stand may be plywood, the doors don't appear to be. I've seen several of these on display and the doors are all falling apart. Perhaps the XXLs are different? I believe the one I saw on display was a 425. I'll give them some leeway due to the stand taking a lot of abuse due to being in a public setting, but I do wonder what the long term life of these stands are. At this price point I can't help but question why they are even messing around? Extruded aluminum stands would have worked and are also easily shipped. There are other threads complaining about the quality of the plumbing used. Numerous people complain about how the ATO system works.

Is the profit margin on these tanks so low that they're willing to skimp in these areas? Once people start considering multiple thousands of dollars for a tank, especially in the 3, 4, and 5 thousand range; you'd expect higher quality.

Once again, only the XXLs/ Peninsulas have the marine grade plywood stands, not the other tanks in the reefer series including the 425xl. While I'm unsure of the material used in the doors themselves (maybe someone with an XXL could chime in here) The stand on a 425 is not made from plywood so I would wager to bet the doors aren't either. I do agree it would have been nice to go the Aluminum stand route. Obviously the pricing would be considerably more given the cost of materials (Take the lighting and extra little things out of the equation on the Maxs and the prices are still astronomically different) but in the end it would be beneficial to still offer the option when ordering atleast. The cost differance would probably add another $500-750 (Extruded Aluminum is NOT cheap, even at cost) to the overall price of the 750 and looking at the competition a lot of buyers probably wouldn't bother with the 750 if that was the case.

Unfortunately we live in a world where everyone wants the cheapest option and saying "We're charging an extra $500 because we wanted to go with stronger stand material (Which most, including myself, would argue plywood is just as strong as extruded aluminum) than our competition" more than likely wouldn't be enough to sway most buyers to spend that extra hard earned money. I think the worst part of all this is if the brace was just engineered properly and doubled up or slightly thicker this problem wouldn't exsist and there would be tons of happy 750XXL owners with zero isssues with there plywood stands.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are owners getting emails or only responses if you reach out to Red Sea? I registered my tank a while back and haven’t received anything. I don’t do FB so I’m not part of that group.

I never got anything and registered. Just been getting info on here.

dodgr31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I have a gap in my max E260. Not too concerned, but I can definately see where the tank sags on the ends. Im not a fan of this, no one knows what will happen long term. My tank has only been up and running a year and a half.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are owners getting emails or only responses if you reach out to Red Sea? I registered my tank a while back and haven’t received anything. I don’t do FB so I’m not part of that group.
I haven’t received anything but obviously some have received an email. More confidence eroding in this company.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what was sent to me when I sent them an email inquiring, you all already saw the original replies I got that Harold posted, these are the latest.

8B628278-4C4F-4FFD-9AD0-1D710C8566E7.png
4ECE8B3F-C1D9-4190-84EB-2D934562C881.png
By the end of the month? Do they know how Airfreight works? Good idea - you have customers in immediate need of help - so ship it as slow as possible. These should be going out via DHL direct from factory.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the end of the month? Do they know how Airfreight works? Good idea - you have customers in immediate need of help - so ship it as slow as possible. These should be going out via DHL direct from factory.
If you haven’t figured out yet...indications are this company does everything as cheaply as possible.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure I registered mine when I got it no emial from them. guessing there busy tho. but would be nice if they reach out. to let us know when they will be shipping it out.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Call Redsea - simple *though they might be blowing smoke:
Good afternoon,

Failing the “Paper Test” is not a cause for concern.

The Red Sea tanks are designed to be fully supported by the cabinet perimeter (sides and rear wall) and the internal wall on the larger models that have them. This is more than enough support to ensure the integrity of the tanks. The cabinet top board sits inside the side walls and its contact with the bottom of the tank is a function of the assembly and the straightness of the board itself which also has a small manufacturing tolerance of more than a few paper thicknesses. The function of top board is to hold the sides and rear wall firmly together and square to each other.

This design is working perfectly, as backed up by the absolutely insignificant failure rate that enables us to extend our warranty on our silicone to 3 years. Only in the case of the XXL750, due to its large dimensions, as soon as we identified a higher than normal failure rate we took affirmative action. Our post about the XXL750 advised about a combination of a sagging cabinet top board and air bubbles in the bottom silicone seal. Failing the “Paper Test” alone has no real significance even for the XXL750 but as previously mentioned, due to the size of the aquarium we decided to err on the side of caution.

All Red Sea tanks and cabinets are produced in our own factory according to western manufacturing standards and strict quality procedures and we are confident of the craftsmanship and longevity of our systems.

I am going to say this I do not believe them. They lied and try to cover it up, what stops them from lying again?
Lets kick the ball down the road because who is going to expect them to replace a tank 3 to 5 years down the road when it fails.

I mean it is one reason manufacturers do not warranty stuff on other manufactures or home made stands. What is the need for a mat then?

I know framed tanks bottoms do not sit on anything and they are also supported on 4 sides and not 3.. Why are the tanks seam failing if the bottom does not matter for rimless? I think that floating front edge is partially to blame too..

I have lost confidence in them...

Look at the there light issue they are having now.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I called and spoke directly to them and asked for an email to share with the group (I posted it yesterday - and received it yesterday)

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had registered back when I bought the tank. I did get a confirmation email after I registered. This morning I also got an email from them about the issue with a link to their support site with a way to sign up for the retrofit kit:

To sign up for the retrofit kit please use the customer support form on our website www.redseafish.com/tech-support-inquiry/ and select the REEFER 750 Cabinet Front support Request.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back