Red sea reefer 750xxl or similar your thoughts

ReefMasterRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning the voyage back to the way of the reef after a several year forced hiatus. I bought a 75 gallon tank from petco, I was going to drill it, diy sump, ect. Ect. The moment I got the tank in my house I realized it will never make me happy as far as a reef tank, too small, plastic reinforcement around top of tank, too small. So there sits a brand new 75 gallon tank and stand empty new, and I have no intentions of reefing it in any way shape or form, might do a freshwater for my son and wife to mess with while I pursue my dream reef. After researching reef tanks I came across the red sea reefer xxl 750 in a 200 gallon and 160 gallon version, of course I want the 200 gallon (bigger is better she says). I really am curious of your first hand experience with said tank, the good, bad, and ugly if there is any. I would also like recommendations to a similar style tank by a different brand that you feel is comparable. Red sea reefer xxl 750 is running close to 4k for tank, stand, and sump is it worth it, or would I be better buying tank, building a stand ( I am a master carpenter by trade), then buying a trigger sump or comparable. Please give me your thoughts opinions suggestions, I'm in no hurry I want this tank to be a show piece in my house and will not compromise on quality, but I am not married to red sea reefer, what other tanks are sweet

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out Waterbox, it's a few hundreds cheaper. Looks comparable to the Reefer.
I just got the 750 and even though still working on it, hard to beat the way it looks. My 35o is also gorgeous and has been dead silent and flawless for over a year. Elos tanks of course look very nice and the overflow design is a bit nicer than the RS, but to be honest I was deciding between the 750 and the Elos Diamond 160 and just couldn't justify spending ~3k extra...

Good luck!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out Waterbox, it's a few hundreds cheaper. Looks comparable to the Reefer.
I just got the 750 and even though still working on it, hard to beat the way it looks. My 35o is also gorgeous and has been dead silent and flawless for over a year. Elos tanks of course look very nice and the overflow design is a bit nicer than the RS, but to be honest I was deciding between the 750 and the Elos Diamond 160 and just couldn't justify spending ~3k extra...

Good luck!
+1
Also ELOS has a nice tank

OP
OP
R

ReefMasterRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy, OMG I've never heard of elos tanks, a quick search on the googler left my jaw on the floor, 9k for a 180 gallon tank, beautiful it may be unless my Powerball numbers come in the elos will be in the same category as a Lamborghini, I would love to have one, but never will. The red sea is looking more appealing. I keep wondering how much is 3/4" plate glass and a few tubes of caulk, might build one and document the build for us very handy but financially restricted people with a love of the home reef

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 750, and love it. I really don't have any complaints. The build quality is outstanding and they are truly beautiful tanks.

OP
OP
R

ReefMasterRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 750, and love it. I really don't have any complaints. The build quality is outstanding and they are truly beautiful tanks.
Is the sump as good as a trigger or did you have to modify it for your needs

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the sump as good as a trigger or did you have to modify it for your needs
I've never had a Trigger sump, so I can't really compare, but the red Sea sump is fairly flexible. I have not modified mine except that I replaced the movable glass baffle which had the weir running the entire length with an acrylic baffle that I made with the weir at one end which forces the water to travel the length of the sump so all water passes through my media and travels to the skimmer area. I also don't use the stock ATO as I have a much larger ATO so that I don't have to refill it as often.

wiselyy73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Elos and Red Sea measurement are in metric not inches that’s the only problem I see.

OP
OP
R

ReefMasterRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hoping I see a 750 for sale here, i would be happy to drive 600 miles each way to save some cash

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? There are plenty of good deals across the country. There is a sweet Oceanic 225 tank, they are built like tanks.

OP
OP
R

ReefMasterRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have a 750 definitely getting the best bang for your buck! I went with a custom triggers sump, Bc I felt like the design and flow was not correct for filtering. Now they have new sumps so can’t speak for that. For the price you will not be disappointed. FYI wanted a elos as well but can’t see the price difference justification. Hear a lot of bad talk about customer service lately, never had to deal with them much something to consider as well. I am happy with it, hope that helps.

Back