Red Sea Reefer leak failures….or not?

Anomaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer XL300 purchased in August of 2021. This happened tonight, the seal gave way and flooded my living room.

Attachments

• IMG_8503.jpeg
    IMG_8503.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_8504.jpeg
    IMG_8504.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 194

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Reefer XL300 purchased in August of 2021. This happened tonight, the seal gave way and flooded my living room.
WOA! Sorry to see this happen to you! Hopefully everything got transferred safely.

Was the tank bought used or new?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who buys one of these better be prepared for a house flood. May want to give your insurance a heads up prior to putting water in it.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT’S HORRIBLE AND I’M SORRY. WHAT GETS ME IS THAT THEY DONT WANT TO ADMIT THEY HAVE A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM. AS SUCH, FAILURES WILL CONTNUE. STAY AWAY FROM RED SEA TANKS! I HAVE A XXL 900 AND LIVE IN FEAR EVERY DAY….BOUGHT IT NEW ALMOST 2 YEARS AGO….

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t BRS just finish a move or two with their bigger Red Sea from Ryan’s house to the office then I think to fish store?

Rabid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
resurrecting the thread. Just coming from freshwater into saltwater.
Bought my first tank used but in good condition, of course this is a red sea reefer 350. Now i see this threat and it's giving me anxiety.
I've set it up and filled it with freshwater, to check the plumbing and leaks after i transported it.
It has been filled with water for 1 week now, no signs of anything.

But i just used alot of money on this... is there anything i can do proactive now, before scaping. like applying more silicone at the seams?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anything i can do proactive now, before scaping. like applying more silicone at the seams?
I would build my own stand that is completely flat/level/square/strong or beef up the Red Sea stand. A lot of problems come from the stand being made of cheap material and sagging in the middle. More silicone won't help, but adding bracing could help if done correctly.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with G2 series?
Sorry to say but a Custom tank builder recently mentioned he repaired a 525 G2 seam. These set ups are aesthetically beautiful but unfortunately thats where the benefits end.

I can’t continue with the uncertainty and angst so have decided to replace my 2 large Red Sea tanks with a custom built large tank over the next several months…..this w/b my 2nd custom build. It w/b over 9’ and over 800g’s. Including sump. Goodbye and good riddance Red Sea!

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Honestly ANY tank could leak from ANY brand. If you are that worried about it maybe a tank isnt the thing for you.
If you think redsea is shady and covering up details and whatnot there are many other brands to pick from. Its all personal preference anyways for the most part.
You can always go acrylic. Much lower chance of failure.

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a split back seam on a gen 1 ver. 3 and they offered a complete (stand and tank) replacement G2+ to fix the problem. Question is do I set the G2+ back up or are they having the same issues as before?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a split back seam on a gen 1 ver. 3 and they offered a complete (stand and tank) replacement G2+ to fix the problem. Question is do I set the G2+ back up or are they having the same issues as before?
Too early to tell. I think I've seen one account a G2 seam failures and it was the side panel.

Back