Red Sea Reefer leak failures….or not?

craig_19xx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my reefer setup for a year now. Seeing them facebook post really have be paranoid and I'm constantly checking seams. I really think having the tank and stand level is the key for longevity. When I set my tank up it made sure it was 100 percent level. After several months I noticed it was slightly off so i had to relevel the tank. With that being said it was in a brand new house so it took a little for the house to settle. I would recommend checking to make sure the tank is level every few months or so.
did you relevel it with water in the tank or drain it?

gmdcdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can add my tank to this list. Just a little over three years old and 4 months out of warranty.

Attachments

• 27E4211D-AD4F-49DB-8E3F-609B174E5A62.jpeg
    27E4211D-AD4F-49DB-8E3F-609B174E5A62.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 326D9481-6C6B-4DCE-B551-B60125DB716C.jpeg
    326D9481-6C6B-4DCE-B551-B60125DB716C.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 216

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Well, you can add my tank to this list. Just a little over three years old and 4 months out of warranty.
Based off recent posts about these tanks I’d say find a replacement in the near future. I say near future unless you want to have an accident .

I had a Red Sea before 425xl. They are beautiful tanks

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The average aquarium is set up for about 18 months before it is taken down and sold according to research several years ago by one of the industry trade publications. If that is true than many tanks will never reach a long term use to determine failure rates.

I built tanks for more than 25 years and I was only notified of one that failed. I replaced it free of charge with a heavier Guage acrylic tank to the customer and arranged for replacement livestock or equipment upgrades his choice. I was lucky as his floor was not damaged and there was no other damage to the home.

One reason I continue to use acrylic on tanks over 60 gallons for personal use. Smaller glass rimless tanks look great but I don't trust the larger ones in my home. I have cleaned up lots of busted or leaking glass tanks over the years but have not had that with acrylic. Just my experience.

gmdcdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the stand have a center brace?
No it does not. This was a sad weekend. Had to breakdown the red sea and transfer everything to a smaller waterbox. I have a waterbox 180.5 on order that hopefully will be here soon. Oh well, lesson learned. No more red sea for me.

G

6A2FF89A-9701-405B-B9AF-EFD8C1998CEF.jpeg 5CF9CC9D-9FC6-4F5A-BC4C-976A3EA0B55D.jpeg

Yodaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I theorize that some of these failures are loads on the tank that we don’t really think about often.
The front panel on these Red Sea tanks is the full width and height. Given the premium price point, I would imagine that it was engineered to withstand the loads it handles. Because of the previously stated construction decision, that would mean that the silicon has a stronger tensile strength, then shear strength. As the front and back panels would be holding more pressure then the shorter side panels.
I would be mindful if putting any weight on the front glass if you lean over it, or place buckets on the front for any reason. A lot of the pictures I’ve seen on Facebook always seems the bottom seam fails on the front. That could also be why so many believe that level and flat stands are critical to their longevity as well.

Just my .02, my father picked up a used 750 last April that’s about 4 years old and haven’t had trouble yet. I have a family friend that picked up a new 750 that he purchased in November of 2021 without issues yet, but these are things we’ve been mindful of since they have been in our possession

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seal on my Reef 250 seal started to give. The tank never leaked but Red Sea replaced it immediately. Customer service was the best. In hind site I probably damaged the seal my self with a scrapper. Coralline sneaks in... As far as stands I think the 750 V1 had a bad stand . RS support offers a kit to fix the 750 stand. To answer your question my 250 lasted a little over a year. I have a 3XL900 as well. Love it. If I buy another it will be Red Sea.

I did ask RS support if Whatever problem that causes this issues has been resolved? He was his answer.

Moises Herrera
(Red Sea Group)
Sep 1, 2021, 19:04 GMT+1
Good afternoon Jeffrey,

There are many possible reasons for a tank seam to fail, but truth be told, these instances are rare and the proof for this is the tens of thousands of Red Sea tanks that are still up and running today world wide. The instances for seam failures decrease even further with the smaller volume tanks like your Reefer 250 model. Many times the seams fail due to mishandling of the tank during installment or the cabinet is not leveled correctly and this puts unnecessary stress on the seam. This coupled with damage to the seam from glass cleaners can ultimately cause a failure. Please rest assured that if you read the installment manual and follow the instructions correctly, the likely hood of a seam failure is very rare.

Your replacement aquarium has been shipped out today through R&L Carriers with the tracking number: 64851915-

20210801_151815.jpg

20210801_140847.jpg

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seal on my Reef 250 seal started to give. The tank never leaked but Red Sea replaced it immediately. Customer service was the best. In hind site I probably damaged the seal my self with a scrapper. Coralline sneaks in... As far as stands I think the 750 V1 had a bad stand . RS support offers a kit to fix the 750 stand. To answer your question my 250 lasted a little over a year. I have a 3XL900 as well. Love it. If I buy another it will be Red Sea.

I did ask RS support if Whatever problem that causes this issues has been resolved? He was his answer.

Moises Herrera
(Red Sea Group)
Good afternoon Jeffrey,

There are many possible reasons for a tank seam to fail, but truth be told, these instances are rare and the proof for this is the tens of thousands of Red Sea tanks that are still up and running today world wide. The instances for seam failures decrease even further with the smaller volume tanks like your Reefer 250 model. Many times the seams fail due to mishandling of the tank during installment or the cabinet is not leveled correctly and this puts unnecessary stress on the seam. This coupled with damage to the seam from glass cleaners can ultimately cause a failure. Please rest assured that if you read the installment manual and follow the instructions correctly, the likely hood of a seam failure is very rare.

Your replacement aquarium has been shipped out today through R&L Carriers with the tracking number: 64851915-

20210801_151815.jpg

20210801_140847.jpg

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Moises Herrera
(Red Sea Group)
Good afternoon Jeffrey,

20210801_151815.jpg

20210801_140847.jpg
How’s the 900xl been? I’m looking at a used one but scared now hearing all these Red Sea failures

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this is super ghetto, and maybe not helpful (but hopefully is), but when the silicone starts to fail could you run a clamp through the stand that applies pressure to the front and back panels? I am talking about those super long wood working clamps? Maybe a few of them could apply a bit of pressure and buy time/stop a leak while moving live stock?

Obviously not a permanent solution

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The average aquarium is set up for about 18 months before it is taken down and sold according to research several years ago by one of the industry trade publications. If that is true than many tanks will never reach a long term use to determine failure rates.

I built tanks for more than 25 years and I was only notified of one that failed. I replaced it free of charge with a heavier Guage acrylic tank to the customer and arranged for replacement livestock or equipment upgrades his choice. I was lucky as his floor was not damaged and there was no other damage to the home.

One reason I continue to use acrylic on tanks over 60 gallons for personal use. Smaller glass rimless tanks look great but I don't trust the larger ones in my home. I have cleaned up lots of busted or leaking glass tanks over the years but have not had that with acrylic. Just my experience.
Recommend any acrylic tank maker in Florida?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend any acrylic tank maker in Florida?
I am not familiar with the local scene anymore. Been years since I used to attend pet industry trade shows in Florida. Have you considered Glass Gages the new owner is making a name for the company with quality glass and acrylic tanks. Tenecor is a other solid choice. Sadly I am in the dark about Florida builders.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back