Red Sea Reefer Nano vs. Max 20

theKoolAidMan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2018
Messages
266
Reaction score
431
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Red Sea Reefer 450 in the living room and have gotten permission (and encouragement!) from my wife to add a small tank to my home office. After looking around and mapping things out, a 20 gallon cube seemed the best bet. I was originally looking at the Waterbox 20 cube, which seemed like a good price at $200. However when you add in the $300 stand, an ATO system, skimmer, and lighting (AI Prime), it was pretty similar in cost to the Red Sea Max 20.

Looking into it more, I also saw that the Reefer Nano goes for about $100 less (though of course you need to provide your own skimmer, lighting, and return pump.

I've worked it out and overall the Reefer would be about $300 more than the Max when accounting for the skimmer, light, and pump.

My question is, for those that have had either or both, what are your recommendations/caveats/experiences, etc.

This tank will be softies only with maybe a few LPS. I do not want to get into dosing, so no SPS and not many LPS. I want all nutrient top offs to be handled by the salt mix from water changes.

I see the pros of the Max pretty much just being lower cost. The Reefer is a 21 gallon display and 7 gallon sump for a total system volume of 28 gallons vs. the Max's 20 gallon system volume with only a 16.5 gallon display.

Having a larger Reefer now, I know that the ATO system kind of sucks and the disphram valve for regulating the overflow is tempermental, but I like the larger display volume and overall system volume.

I will add that I do have nano experience, as my first two tanks were a 10G and 30G reef.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of the two setups? Is the skimmer that comes with the Max even any good? How tiny is that ATO? Etc.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new