Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650 - The Immovable Object

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible problem with the stand now. The side panel is bowing out. The gap at the top and bottom of the door is pretty tight, but the middle is maybe 1/16th wider. If I press against the panel I can push in inwards a bit as well. I really don't see how this could be an install issue but Red Sea recommended I take the tank down and replace the screws and cams. They are sending me a hardware pack. At this point I have to say I'd recommend avoiding Red Sea stands, at least on these larger tanks.

I really, really don't want to do that. I think I'm going to try adding another internal support myself. probably leveraging the extra wood pieces that came with the stand as packing material. If I can create a horizontal brace midway up the side panel connecting the center panel and far side panel that should prevent any bowing and tie the stand together far better than stock.

Seems like my DOS issue is just bad heads. Neptune is responsive but I keep having to run back and take a new video etc. Side note, I'm loving the WAV. Very quiet, lots of flow and a wide flow pattern for a standard pump.

20180812_214347.jpg

That just looks like a hinge adjustment mate [emoji1303]

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just looks like a hinge adjustment mate [emoji1303]
That's what I thought originally, but the gaps in the middle is different than the top and bottom. If it was just a hinge issue I would expect just the top or bottom to be different. Trust me, I really hope you are right. See pics below. Upper left is very tight, same with lower left.

20180812_214343.jpg

20180812_214347.jpg

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F@#$king Neptune. So now they want me to mail my DOS back in for diagnostics instead of just sending me a replacement. So I won't have access to my $300 pump for who knows how long. And they want me to waste more of my life taking apart the Cor 20 again and sending them a video. I replied that I wasn't interested in doing that and wanted a replacement. TBD. It's bad enough having brand new equipment fail but making me jump through a bunch of hoops for something that is obviously not something I can fix is extremely frustrating. I thought Neptune was a high end company? At least when I buy a Jebao pump I don't get mad when it breaks because they are so danged cheap. I'm sure my Apex will blow up next. The DOS and COR20 average review points will be dropping on BRS very soon here.

Bonus round, Coralvue sent me the replacement motor block for my 2nd gyre, but they sent the wrong size. What's the point of me sending in pictures, invoice, and serial # info if they don't look at them?

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F@#$king Neptune. So now they want me to mail my DOS back in for diagnostics instead of just sending me a replacement. So I won't have access to my $300 pump for who knows how long. And they want me to waste more of my life taking apart the Cor 20 again and sending them a video. I replied that I wasn't interested in doing that and wanted a replacement. TBD. It's bad enough having brand new equipment fail but making me jump through a bunch of hoops for something that is obviously not something I can fix is extremely frustrating. I thought Neptune was a high end company? At least when I buy a Jebao pump I don't get mad when it breaks because they are so danged cheap. I'm sure my Apex will blow up next. The DOS and COR20 average review points will be dropping on BRS very soon here.

Bonus round, Coralvue sent me the replacement motor block for my 2nd gyre, but they sent the wrong size. What's the point of me sending in pictures, invoice, and serial # info if they don't look at them?

Wow. Extremely frustrating. I have never used Neptune products, but at that price on something new I would expect more for sure.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, 1 replacement DOS is on it's way from BRS (those guys have been great BTW). For the other I'm waiting to see if they will allow a pure replacement with a cross ship instead of sending the unit back and wasting a few weeks for them to say "yeah, it's broken, here is a new one". I do have a replacement COR20 supposedly on it's way as well.
In the meantime I picked up a $79 Jebao pump via Amazon same day delivery.

I think there is a lesson here. The COR20 failed for a stupid reason, probably a bad internal sensor. Meanwhile the cheap Jebao pump is keeping my sump turning over.

The 2nd replacement motor block for my Maxspect gyre is also on the way. Sigh.

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough time and you do not expect this many problems with expensive kit.

Paul

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. New DOS from BRS came in, as well as the replacement from Neptune. I actually found out the problem with the one I sent back to Neptune, there was a hidden kink in the tubing. I'm happy with their assistance and replacement of the unit, but I'm not sure how they did not identify this. Definitely my fault, but that should be one of the main troubleshooting steps. So, if your DOS head seems to be "slipping" check your tubes. Replacement Cor20 is in place. The power connector falls out super easily, I think that is a design mistake. I have two small jebao pumps on the far end right now as I think I need a little more movement on that side. I'll probably pick up either Tunze powerstream (AC version) as that seems like most powerful small pump I can find, or maybe another WAV. Still very happy with the WAV, ramping to 50% it's silent, my gyres are far louder. Still working on my ATO solution so for now I've been manually topping off.

For the auto water changes I ran tubes into the floor register between the tank and the wall. by drilling a small hole into the duct. Clean water comes in from a trashcan and waste goes right into my floor drain. I will probably mount the DOSs right below the tank in the basement for sound purposes and to save some stand space.

The missing parts for the light fixture are in so I'll get back on that. For now I have the two AP700s mounted on the tank about 10" above the water line. Despite the tank move and equipment issues I'm seeing growth and good PE on almost everything in the tank. I did lose several SPS frags in the process though, but as a relative beginner and with moving corals and then moving them to a new tank a few weeks later I can't complain. A couple corals are seeing some minor bleaching so I may need to move a couple. I have to say that my Pearly Cadaver from Battlecorals is the toughest SPS I own. It was nearly the first I added and throughout my inexperience and multiple moves it never once lost tissue. I even accidentally fragged it and it healed super fast. Really coloring up well. I'm still seeing my stomatellas multiplying which is cool. Skimmer is finally broken in and my fuge is growing a crap ton of chaeto. The GSP frag isn't growing much yet but the junk zoas in there seem to be happy. I found a couple aiptasias that came in on some frags but I think I killed them before spreading. I have a bit of bryopsis growth (from the old tank) so I'll probably do the Tech M treatment at some point.

Placed a fish order last night. Kole tang, powder blue, 6 chromis, and a lawnmower blenny. A little more than I'd normally add at once but I will be doing a QT and will step up WCs a bit until the tank settles. I'm off Friday and taking another day off work a few weeks later won't be easy. Quick nighttime FTS attached. (I need to become a member so I can edit my 1st post) I need to figure out how to take quality close up shots of my corals. Perhaps once I find my Go-Pro I can get a few close ups in water.

20180829_213705.jpg

Stock list:

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are stabilizing pretty well. I am keeping a close eye on the stand, still makes me nervous. I will likely still add the internal bracing, I don't see how it can hurt.

New fish are doing well. I moved to the DT after only a few days in QT as I was concerned about being able to maintain them. The gamble seemed like a good one. (knock on wood) Tangs are settling in and figuring out their spots. The other morning the Kole tang was sleeping with my two clowns in their hidey spot, which was weird but they didn't seem to upset. Chromis are sticking together nicely and aren't fighting. I did get to see the tiniest one chase my PBT and nip at it's fins yesterday, which was pretty funny. My royal gramma still hides most of the time. :rolleyes:

My next additions may be a small group of anthias and possibly a yellow coris wrasse. Not sure yet. I don't want to overstock and have an issue when the fish get larger. I have been considering a Harlequin tusk but I'm worried about my CUC.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I had an update. The tank has had some major setbacks. Lost quite a few corals due to water stability issues. Life got crazy and I didn't keep up with my dosing. Also had some fish come in and despite a short QT got hit with what I believe was velvet and lost several. Fighting a wave of aiptasia and bubble algae currently. My new copperband butterfly isn't helping out so I'm ordering some nudis. Also picked up an emerald crab for the bubble algae.

On the plus side my coraline algae growth has really taken off, even with suppressed calc and dkh levels. Also my banded trochus snails are breeding like crazy. Baby trochus are so cute. Same with my stomatellas, I have never seen snails reproduce like this. In my fuge I have some junk zoas and GSP and they are growing very well also.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Working with Red Sea on the stand issue. It's clear that the end panel is bowing out. I really really hope they come back and confirm that it's ok but I'm expecting to have to get a new stand, move the tank, move the old stand, and then move the tank back. Taking a pause on SPS until the tank stabilizes a bit more. Bubble algae is still a pain in my ****.

On the plus side my white tail bristletooth seems to be doing well in QT.

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you finish the light assembly or are you still running the AP700s? In any event, did you like the AP700s on this tank? I just pulled the trigger on buying mine but they stopped selling the deluxe model with the Hydra26's so I ended up going with 8 AI Prime's that I plan on rail mounting in pairs over the length of the tank, but I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should ship them back for 2 AP700s...

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you finish the light assembly or are you still running the AP700s? In any event, did you like the AP700s on this tank? I just pulled the trigger on buying mine but they stopped selling the deluxe model with the Hydra26's so I ended up going with 8 AI Prime's that I plan on rail mounting in pairs over the length of the tank, but I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should ship them back for 2 AP700s...

Unfortunately no. I've been dealing with other issues. My stand is failing and redsea is sending me a new one. I wound up ordering the wrong 80/20 pieces so I'm needing to tweak the build a little.

I am finding that 2 AP700s do a great job at filling the whole tank with light. I've really only used Kessils myself so I can't comment there but I definitely like just having two fixtures.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back