Red Sea REEFLED 50 Super High PAR

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a few folks post their PARs for the Red Sea REEFLED 50 in a nano, (like mine--Red Sea 20G MAX NANO) and it was reasonable ... 200-400 at max output. I've tested mine 3 times with my Seneye, and I am getting 400-650 at max output. Have to drop levels to about 60% in order to get a more reasonable 200-350. I know the light is too much, b/c when I tried to raise levels to 80% slowly, coral started bleaching from the top down.

Anyone else having this issue? Did I possible get a jacked unit?

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking in on this again. Have tried bringing back down to like 50, then very very slowly ramping it up, but as soon as it gets past 60, coral start bleaching. Takes a good month or two to reset and get color back, so I don't want to keep at this. Tomorrow, when the tank is at it's highest intensity, what I'm planning on doing is whipping out my PAR meter, setting the light to 100%, then toning it down until it matches what Red Sea has on its website as what the surface PAR should be at 100%, making a mental note of the difference, and then applying that trim as the "calibrated" PAR level, and let that sit for a few months. I've been tempted to just grab the AI Prime 16, but I really just wanted this RS light to work.

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it's working.... not sure why this is a problem??
The problem is that I can't be sure what PAR I'm giving my mixed reef. My PAR meter reads much, much higher results than RS claims, so I'm having to run my lights at half the level others run it, who are using the same light on the same tank. Just trying to remove the uncertainty around that.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that I can't be sure what PAR I'm giving my mixed reef. My PAR meter reads much, much higher results than RS claims, so I'm having to run my lights at half the level others run it, who are using the same light on the same tank. Just trying to remove the uncertainty around that.

Doesn't sound like it's the light having an issue...If it were alot lower, i'd be more inclined to say the light is having an issue......

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 90 on my 40 breeder at 60 percent. 36×18×17. I would problem go 40 percent on a 20g. Changing the light a bunch I would think mess with the corals

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound like it's the light having an issue...If it were alot lower, i'd be more inclined to say the light is having an issue......
It's an issue for me mainly because it's not operating within its advertised spec; either my PAR meter is busted or the light is busted. That makes it hard for me to make decisions as I'm trying to pinpoint issues.

I have the 90 on my 40 breeder at 60 percent. 36×18×17. I would problem go 40 percent on a 20g. Changing the light a bunch I would think mess with the corals
Agreed--any changes I make are over months ... tiny, tiny changes each day. For instance, when going from 50% to 80%, I set the acclimation timer to 60 days. That's half a percent each day. Red Sea recommends 100% blue for the MAX Nano, but my SPS coral start bleaching once it hits 60%, even if ramped up very slowly (BTW, all my coral are from WWC, so they are already acclimated to LED). If 50 is the number, or even 40, that is fine. The issue is that, according to RS's spec sheet, at 50%, that should be about 150-200 PAR at the SPS's location ... that can't be right. I've already reached out to them about it, they had me send in photos of the tank ... which blew my mind because how are they going to judge the tank's PAR levels/light operation by an iPhone photo.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an issue for me mainly because it's not operating within its advertised spec; either my PAR meter is busted or the light is busted. That makes it hard for me to make decisions as I'm trying to pinpoint issues.

Agreed--any changes I make are over months ... tiny, tiny changes each day. For instance, when going from 50% to 80%, I set the acclimation timer to 60 days. That's half a percent each day. Red Sea recommends 100% blue for the MAX Nano, but my SPS coral start bleaching once it hits 60%, even if ramped up very slowly (BTW, all my coral are from WWC, so they are already acclimated to LED). If 50 is the number, or even 40, that is fine. The issue is that, according to RS's spec sheet, at 50%, that should be about 150-200 PAR at the SPS's location ... that can't be right. I've already reached out to them about it, they had me send in photos of the tank ... which blew my mind because how are they going to judge the tank's PAR levels/light operation by an iPhone photo.
The salinity and how clean the water is also affecting the part the water they used problem was dirty or they lied or they eyeballed the numbers or a combination. I'm my experience go with the numbers you get not what someone else is getting and what works for you

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity and how clean the water is also affecting the part the water they used problem was dirty or they lied or they eyeballed the numbers or a combination. I'm my experience go with the numbers you get not what someone else is getting and what works for you
True. But if the manufacturer says you should be getting XX PAR at XX% intensity in XX tank dimensions, I expect to get very dang near that. A 2X increase over expected PAR is not okay, and if that is off, what else is off? My OCD is not okay with this :p

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parker's Reef on youtube had a recent two video on apogee and Seneye par meters. I remember something that the Seneye was appearing to be providing an incorrect number.

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parker's Reef on youtube had a recent two video on apogee and Seneye par meters. I remember something that the Seneye was appearing to be providing an incorrect number.
Awesome, thanks! Will go pull that up.

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. His video 100% explains my current reading. Wow, thanks for sharing. This brings up new questions, but this was super helpful to hear.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your welcome. While i don't know if it is your exact problem, but your explanation sounded very familiar to his posts ;).

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a few folks post their PARs for the Red Sea REEFLED 50 in a nano, (like mine--Red Sea 20G MAX NANO) and it was reasonable ... 200-400 at max output. I've tested mine 3 times with my Seneye, and I am getting 400-650 at max output. Have to drop levels to about 60% in order to get a more reasonable 200-350. I know the light is too much, b/c when I tried to raise levels to 80% slowly, coral started bleaching from the top down.

Anyone else having this issue? Did I possible get a jacked unit?
I just upgraded. To the new radion pro got the lighting download off of wwc website. There expensive I feel like it worth it. Nano 20 6 months in and loving it. What kind of upgrades did you do?

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded. To the new radion pro got the lighting download off of wwc website. There expensive I feel like it worth it. Nano 20 6 months in and loving it. What kind of upgrades did you do?
I have a second ReefLED that arrives tomorrow, to check it against the first, just for my peace of mind lol. Other than that, no upgrades expect the return pump to an IM Mighty Jet ... wanted a DC pump to extend the life of my UPS during an outage. Lots of those around here for some reason.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a second ReefLED that arrives tomorrow, to check it against the first, just for my peace of mind lol. Other than that, no upgrades expect the return pump to an IM Mighty Jet ... wanted a DC pump to extend the life of my UPS during an outage. Lots of those around here for some reason.
Yea me to Red Sea pump no flow control have some lps corals that did not like that much flow wish you well with your reef

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef 90 still going strong I recently put it up to 70 from 60 the last 30 days.
Hope your corals are doing good like mine.
I'll have to post some pics in a bit

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the Reef 90 on my daughter's E-170 and currently run it at 68%. Have fantastic growth and colors. In fact corals like the 90 more than my AI Hydra 26 HDS.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back