Red Sea rollermat jamming.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah took mine apart, cut off the roll and disposed the dirty roll 2/3 got the left over 1/3 reset and appears to be going again, will know more tomorrow, looked like the dirty side was too heavy and crimple the mat as was being pulled
The roller is working as expected again, making a mental note: from this point forward I will remove the dirty roll at the midpoint, this should relieve the motor of added strain.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1200 also fails when the roll is nearly exhausted. It seems the last two days or so on average.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1200 also fails when the roll is nearly exhausted. It seems the last two days or so on average.
Green. Painter's. Tape. You need to apply a 6-8" strip on the spool of the waste roll. Otherwise by the time you get to the end it almost always comes loose and just spins in-place.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green. Painter's. Tape. You need to apply a 6-8" strip on the spool of the waste roll. Otherwise by the time you get to the end it almost always comes loose and just spins in-place.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try next time I change my roll which is coming up in a couple of days. :)

On a side note, I dunno how folks get 6-8 weeks with these things, I'm lucky to get 4.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had very few issues with my Red Sea equipment from tanks to devices, yes something like this issue with the roller comes up, and I've had to deal with customer service twice, once because the package did not include all the parts. They sent the part right away, once I had a pump on the ReefDose fail (I've had Kamoer pumps fail too) customer service replaced the pump without question. So no more complaints than any other vendor, I've had Neptune stuff that never worked, don't get me started with Ecotech stuff both brands... I think we need to continue to document these issues in forums like these, publically, so the manufacturers take note and build better quality equipment, we all know the pricing margins are in the 1000% range so they can afford better parts.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been relatively happy with my Reefmat aside from a couple of annoyances. My main gripe beyond the motor being insufficient, is that my unit refuses to connect with the reefbeat app in online mode despite connecting to my wifi fine. I am forced to use it in direct mode using an offline tank.

RedSea wouldn't be my first choice but not my last either as far as quality is concerned.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you apply it ?
I take a 6-7" strip and tape the end of the fleece to one of the red half pipes on the waste spool. When the fleece roll is finished I find I need a pair of rubber gloves (and two sets of hands) to pull it apart. One half spool should pull out without issue while the other will need to be unwound (as it's still taped). But since I've been doing this for over a year and a half, zero jams.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a 6-7" strip and tape the end of the fleece to one of the red half pipes on the waste spool. When the fleece roll is finished I find I need a pair of rubber gloves (and two sets of hands) to pull it apart. One half spool should pull out without issue while the other will need to be unwound (as it's still taped). But since I've been doing this for over a year and a half, zero jams.
I'll definitely try this

aliens172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is doing the exact same thing. Even with no load on the cog/motor it gets jammed. I think im having an issue with the motor not being powerful enough or the motor it self has an issue.
B3E22B8B-D89F-4A88-AF12-C219306ED5F2.jpeg
I just happen to me about a week ago red sea send me a replacement drive reef mat 500 it been 24 hrs still good

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 500 started "jamming" about a week ago with no actual jams.

I noticed that the gears weren'tmoving even on manual.

I contacted red sea and they asked for a short video, I sent it to them.
They said that the motor its self might have gone bad but didn't have a replacement motor so the are sending me a new drive unit.

I just bought the 1200 for the new tank, I hope this doesn't happen right of way.
I didn't know that the 1200 had the same size motor as the 500.

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My 500 started "jamming" about a week ago with no actual jams.

I noticed that the gears weren'tmoving even on manual.

I contacted red sea and they asked for a short video, I sent it to them.
They said that the motor its self might have gone bad but didn't have a replacement motor so the are sending me a new drive unit.

I just bought the 1200 for the new tank, I hope this doesn't happen right of way.
I didn't know that the 1200 had the same size motor as the 500.
I cleaned the middle part that you pull out when you change the roll, and I make sure it’s not tight when I re install it….

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned the middle part that you pull out when you change the roll, and I make sure it’s not tight when I re install it….
Ok, I always clean up that part because of all the build up that it gets.
The motor for the drive just went bad I guess

spribri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the dreaded “jammed” message for a week. I was going to take off motor to get serial number when I noticed the end of the supply roller was loose. Tightened it up (screwed all the way on) and have not had an issue since. Check your supply roller if there isn’t a snag or jam!

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back