Red sea rsk 300 overflowing.. out of ideas.

mudbugmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've searched many threads on this. I'm pulling my hair out at this point. This is a second-hand skimmer that was cleaned with citric acid so I do not believe it to be because it is not broken in. I ran it rich overnight letting it spill back into my sump. I built a little stand to raise it out of the water above the water level sticker. I did this because I stuck it in a 5-gallon bucket and it ran fine, but now I am thinking that's because the pump was being throttled by the limited space.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a video of it running on minimum -

Skimmer video

Thanks for your time.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the water level in your skimmer chamber? It should be around 8". The foam is also too high so you need to turn the air down (foam should peak just below the bottom of the collection cup).

OP
OP
mudbugmike

mudbugmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the water level in your skimmer chamber? It should be around 8". The foam is also too high so you need to turn the air down (foam should peak just below the bottom of the collection cup).

Hi, the level can be seen in the video. It's under the "water level" sticker. It is at 6 inches on the stand. Deeper makes it worse. The unit is running on the minimum setting in the video.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am presently running at the minimum recommended water height per the manual... I agree this may help but I kinda feel like this is a bandage to whatever else the actual issue is.
I still think the actual issue is that it's re-breaking in and raising the unit will allow it to deposit more of the crud on the outside walls which it needs to do to break in and perform correctly.

OP
OP
mudbugmike

mudbugmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still think the actual issue is that it's re-breaking in and raising the unit will allow it to deposit more of the crud on the outside walls which it needs to do to break in and perform correctly.

This seems to be the most probably. Have it running as rich as I can while it just dumps the water back in the sump.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, the skimmer needs to break in again since it was cleaned and disinfected. All of my clients' red sea skimmers are run below the minimum recommended water line and I usually only clean the skimmer cup during maintenance visits. Give it a week to run and break in, allowing it to dump back into the sump in the mean time.

OP
OP
mudbugmike

mudbugmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As stated above, the skimmer needs to break in again since it was cleaned and disinfected. All of my clients' red sea skimmers are run below the minimum recommended water line and I usually only clean the skimmer cup during maintenance visits. Give it a week to run and break in, allowing it to dump back into the sump in the mean time.

Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back