Red Sea reefer 300

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I purchased a new reefer 300 a little over 3 weeks ago and have had it running for 19 days now, collection cup off air fully open (as suggested and in the “minus” section) and still over flowing no sign of the break in process coming near. Have tried it raised lowered and also at suggested water per red sea. As of now it is at the recommended 8” mark

Tank is over a year old as well

and suggestions or recommendations?
IMG_2326.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took like 2 weeks to settle down. I eventually added a 1 inch plate underneath to raise it up. Are you runn8ng carbon?

OP
OP
D

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took like 2 weeks to settle down. I eventually added a 1 inch plate underneath to raise it up. Are you runn8ng carbon?
It’s on a 3” stand and skimmer is 7 1/2” underwater and have almost a 1” between the skimmer bottom and the stand

No I’m not running any carbon at all

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on a 3” stand and skimmer is 7 1/2” underwater and have almost a 1” between the skimmer bottom and the stand

No I’m not running any carbon at all
I have the same tank. Can I see a full sump shot. Run bag of carbon to help filter the water and keep up weekly water changes. Is thar a red sea skimmer?

I know you said the air venturi is full open. Do you have a knob adjustment on the tube that holds the water inlet plate?

I can raise and lower my skimmer foam by turning the knob on mine.

OP
OP
D

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s a Red Sea reefer 300 skimmer sorry

When it’s fully open the air from the bottom Venturi it fills slowly but still over flows and once I adjust it closing it it just becomes micro bubbles and fills in seconds with or without the collection cup. Also when draining the collection cup with the drain it fills even faster lol the joys

OP
OP
D

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. Can I see a full sump shot. Run bag of carbon to help filter the water and keep up weekly water changes. Is thar a red sea skimmer?

I know you said the air venturi is full open. Do you have a knob adjustment on the tube that holds the water inlet plate?

I can raise and lower my skimmer foam by turning the knob on mine.
image.jpg

OP
OP
D

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am fully open as of now and it’s producing all sizes of bubbles for now than fills the cup in about 5 minutes

If I start to close it it becomes to micro bubbles and fills in about a minute

Strange thing is I can put my old skimmer in and it skims right away no problems at all

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Take take longer than others to break in. They always do eventually.

Can you run it in a bucket of tank water until it settles in, and run your old one until then?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am fully open as of now and it’s producing all sizes of bubbles for now than fills the cup in about 5 minutes

If I start to close it it becomes to micro bubbles and fills in about a minute

Strange thing is I can put my old skimmer in and it skims right away no problems at all
Ok so you closed (clockwise) the small knob on the left and opened the big knob in the middle.

I have heard red sea skimmers take longer to break in.

OP
OP
D

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Take take longer than others to break in. They always do eventually.
Yeah I can see that just at this point I feel like going on 3 weeks seems a little long, and when I reached out to Red Sea with pictures and the info they as well said it seems too long

OP
OP
D

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you closed (clockwise) the small knob on the left and opened the big knob in the middle.

I have heard red sea skimmers take longer to break in.
The left knob of fully opened right now for full flow right now, and there is no big knob in the middle, I think you may be looking at my overflow

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill some tank water in an old salt bucket and run it 24/7 until it settles down, and run your old one in the sump until it’s good to switch out.

OP
OP
D

Daurland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill some tank water in an old salt bucket and run it 24/7 until it settles down, and run your old one in the sump until it’s good to switch out.
That’s what I’m going to resort to I think I’m going to let it run again with the cup off for a little 24-48 hours I’m thinking than make the change but that’s what I’m leaning towards thank you

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left knob of fully opened right now for full flow right now, and there is no big knob in the middle, I think you may be looking at my overflow
The left knob is the water flow venturi which you say is full open. The small canister with the black tube in the middle is the air venturi. You have that full open with no water in the small canister?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the only thing the small canister for the air Venturi is a small drain plug at the bottom
Ok my eshopps you can turn the lid on the canister to adjust air intake. Guess red sea is different. I agree give it another week to break in and run carbon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back