Red Sea RSK 300 Skimmer - Ozone resistant?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all - I have a Red Sea RSK 300 Skimmer and I'm wondering if I can run ozone with it. Most of the parts appear to be acrylic which should be fine but I don't know about some of the extruded / ABS parts. I'd throw carbon in the baffles before the return pump as it doesn't have a dedicated carbon filter.

I currently have a CO2 scrubber with a motorised ball valve (for pH control) connected to the air intake. I'd like to put the dryer and the ozone inline after the ball valve - this will be a fair bit of kit and pipe connected to the inlet, any risk of this impacting the performance of the skimmer?

CopperStateCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all - I have a Red Sea RSK 300 Skimmer and I'm wondering if I can run ozone with it. Most of the parts appear to be acrylic which should be fine but I don't know about some of the extruded / ABS parts. I'd throw carbon in the baffles before the return pump as it doesn't have a dedicated carbon filter.

I currently have a CO2 scrubber with a motorised ball valve (for pH control) connected to the air intake. I'd like to put the dryer and the ozone inline after the ball valve - this will be a fair bit of kit and pipe connected to the inlet, any risk of this impacting the performance of the skimmer?
Any update on this? I also am running a RSK DC 600 skimmer with a recirculating CO2 scrubber. Wanting to add an ozone generator the the platform.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this? I also am running a RSK DC 600 skimmer with a recirculating CO2 scrubber. Wanting to add an ozone generator the the platform.
From what I've found with my own (albeit limited) research is that it's not ozone resistant, but that you can run ozone with it (just expect some parts to potentially start breaking down over time). This is just feedback from others - don't take it as a ringing endorsement!

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on this (and a few other factors) I switched to a Tunze Doc 9410 and couldn't be happier. It doesn't need tuning, it collects more skim mate and does so much more consistently, it's substantially quieter, it's smaller, it consumes about 1/3 of the power and it has a dedicated port for ozone + a post filter sock that you can put carbon in to remove the ozone. It's also much easier to clean as the cup just lifts off, no fighting with the tight seal on the RSK cup.

Only downside is that you have to bypass the over-foaming protection to attach a CO2 scrubber but it has never foamed over anyway, even when the water level in my sump has risen substantially.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back