Ozone Generator Installation

Mad Doc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all ozone users! I have been using ozone for couple of months but I’m not convinced I have hooked it up properly and if it actually does much. I have got a Nyos skimmer that has an ozone dedicated intake, my question is should I use this inlet and cap off the main air intake on the silencer? I have been using it with the main intake open and it seems as it doesn’t really pull much from the ozone intake, my worry is that if I block of the main intake it would be too little air entering the skimmer as the ozone hose is much thinner than the opening on the main line? I could not find any information on this so any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea and the same setup: dual intake on the silencer, also have a new ozotech just sitting there, so I’m following along…
Do you mind if I ask how long were you running ozone daily?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to the Nyos Skimmer, but I would try getting an air pump to push the air through.

I tried on my Reef Octopus Regal and it just didn't work right. In retrospect an air pump would've made a world of difference. I ended up jumping to an Avast Marine Mutiny just because I was so unsure.

Once I got it dialed in (currently using an Avast Mutiny), I could tell a pretty decent difference in water clarity.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea and the same setup: dual intake on the silencer, also have a new ozotech just sitting there, so I’m following along…
Do you mind if I ask how long were you running ozone daily?
I was originally planning to run it very low setting for 3-4 hours at night, so I did and didn’t see any difference so I put it on constantly at low levels and it seemed to do a little but still isn’t feeling right. I hope
Someone knows the answer to this, as you really don’t see many ppl talking about how they hooked it up to their skimmer

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a poseidon 200 on a reef octopus xp2000. Connecting it in line with the skimmer air intake didn't work because the tubes inside the generator were too small and restricted the air so much the water level inside the skimmer shot up. Adding it through a hole drilled into the silencer didn't work either because path of least resistance and not much air went through the generator with its small tubing. I saw in my manual ozotech wants 3-8 cubic feet of airflow through the unit. I found a 200 liter air pump which equals 7 cubic feet and have that pushing air through the unit.
Feeding this into the silencer is more air than the skimmer uses so that didn't work either. I suppose I could've just throttled the air pump back with a valve but I wasnt sure where 3 cubic feet was. So I tee'd it into my fresh air line that feeds the skimmer.
It does make a noticeable difference in clarity, I really like it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back