Red Sea RSK-600 overskimming

Freemason1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Red Sea RSK-600 skimmer that has been in use for a little over a month. It started out working fine but now I can't stop it from overskimming.
I shut the skimmer off for 2 days because I added two small vials of Coraline algae, Chaeto, and a new coral (Candy Cane).
All parameters are fine except the calcium was high, around 525. I use an ATO and have Kalkwasser added to the bucket of water.
The skimmer has been running for 2 days now and it continues to overskim. I have it set all the way to the minus side but it doesn't stop overskimming. The water level is at the low end of the recommended level. I did have it at the higher end and thought that might be the issue so I raised the system but that didn't help either.
Parameters are:
Amononia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
DKH- 0
Calcium- 525
PH- 8.14
Phosphate- 0

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to skim correctly?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day I have the rsk 300 set at recommended level and skims great by my lfs has the 600 and he has 1” marine pure plate under it to stop it over skimming, so that sticker on the adjustment knob is about 1” out of the water.

ReeferBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try raising it some more. Thanks for the advice.
My RSK600 is over skimming because it is new and the tank is new and cycling. I stopped it by lowering the control to the lowest setting, raising the skimmer about 2” and putting a ball valve on the black air tube to let less air in. It’s skimming great now but I really don’t have much to skim yet. I’ll be adjusting it as the the tank and skimmer get established.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back