Red Sea Skimmer not collecting skim

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RSK 600 skimmer and I never manage to collect proper skim mate. My N03 is running at approx 11 so that should allow me to pick some some nice dark skim but for nothing.. Skimmer has been at me for almost 2 years so well dialed but nothing. I have a mate who has the deltec and its no comparison.. am I doing something wrong? Pic is to show how wet skim still doesnt pick up anything

20240317_215956.jpg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what color is your skimmate?

If it is very light then you are "wet skimming" which can help pull more debris/detritus faster.

"Dry skimming" is more concentrated but doesn't pull out as much as fast

If you are wanting a dark skimmate you are probably thinking of dry skimming which is not going to impact your NO3 as much.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wet skim lowers n03? Thought dark would
So neither directly lowers NO3. Both help remove detritus to help prevent it breaking down and thus contributing to nitrate increase.

Heavy/Wet skimming removes more detritus faster (and water, hence the lighter color) and requires more frequent emptying of the collection cup.

Light/Dry skimming collects less water and a more condensed detritus amount creating the darker color but is slower to fill the collection cup.

To achieve this you can raise the gate on your skimmer which will lower the bubble level in the body (I am for bottom of cup) and let more accumulate on the bubbles and generate a more concentrated skimmate.

OP
OP
B

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. So I need to open more the gate but balance it out not to overflow I guess

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. So I need to open more the gate but balance it out not to overflow I guess
Try aiming for the bubbles to settle at the bottom of the skimmate cup instead of the top and see if that helps. Then when material builds up the larger bubbles will kind of surge and transfer the material into the cup

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back