Red sea star feeding question

  • Thread starter Thread starter bearman88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Try feeding a variety of fresh seafoods...I'm not surprised the seaweed didn't work out although since they've rarely been kept successfully it is good to try anything and see how it goes. While their natural diet is in fact biofilm, it's untrue that no Fromia genus stars will eat any alternative foods. This is something I know from experience. However, it does depend on the species what foods they will take.
It's great that the spots have reduced! At this point I would focus on finding a food source he will eat and worry about the leg out of the water and possible reasons later.
alright, thank you guys. I've increased my bioload lately via feeding, for other reasons, hopefully this increases the biofilm availability for the star. :)
 
alright, thank you guys. I've increased my bioload lately via feeding, for other reasons, hopefully this increases the biofilm availability for the star. :)
I'm sorry to break it to you but it's far more complicated than that. Biofilm is a generic term. What makes up the biofilm in your tank is nowhere close to the makeup of the biofilm in the ocean from that specific geographical range where the star came from. Spot feeding is pretty much your only option.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new