Red Sea Tank Fails, AGAIN! Any Recommendations?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, a friend picked up my first failed tank back in 2020 after I got the replacement. RS told me to dump it somewhere after I destroyed the serial sticker. My friend then took that failed tank to a place to be repaired. The guy that repaired the tank told him that the brand was prone to failure in the front panel, never the back. That original tank that was fixed broke again a few weeks ago. I heard this from my friend. The guy mentioned the front glass being too thin adding extra stress to the silicone. IDK, this sounds like a design issue that they are attempting to correct with he G2 tanks. Having MP40s should not be an issue for a reef tank.
Gotcha thanks for the clarification. I certainly think harsh flow can be a contributing factor to seam integrity. Should it be? No, there should be stress test studies done by the manufacturer to see if there is a limit to how often a wave can bounce off the side panel.

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi everyone! I have an emergency and cannot really believe this is happening to me again. Back in 2019 I purchased what I thought was a wonderful tank! Everything was going great with my Red Sea 525 XL until it started leaking from one of the sides in 2020. Of course, I lost livestock and suffered some damages caused by the water. After reaching out, Red Sea agreed to change my tank and sent me a “new one“ under the limited warranty. Fast forward to last Friday 4/21/23 at 4:00 AM and my tank was leaking AGAIN! This time, the leak was from the bottom and the tank dumped all the water out in less than 2 minutes. I was able to save all my fish and transfer them to the sump. The corals I had were then placed in a small Waterbox tank. This is the second time in less thank 5 years that my tank fails on me. I do not scrape the edge, I do not go crazy cleaning, my stand and tank are perfectly leveled, etc. My questions are:

Is this a common issue with this tanks? I see tons of posts and a local guy told me the brand is prone to issues with the side and bottom silicone.

What brand do you guys recommend? I am between Innovative Marine and WaterBox, but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!
I’ve got a Red Sea Max E 260. You’ve got me wanting to switch out before the problem arises.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no concrete evidence that RedSea has more or less failures than other manufacturers. That said - I would encourage anyone with a. RedSea tank that's worried - buy a new one - because there is nothing worse than worrying about something no matter how likely it is to happen. Before you change though google the forums. My research suggests that you will find a similar (extremely small) percentage of failure in every tank style.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The real question here is not the overall percentage! How many of the big models are sold and how many have failed. That is the real question. I have a smaller RS that serves as a QT tank and I’ve never had any issues! Knock on wood but the larger models appear to be having issues.
Can you provide some data to prove/suggest what you're saying? Yes - they put in a brace for the larger tanks - thats true

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the failure rate is less the 1% in my opinion with the tens of thousands of units out there over the years so other issues may contribute as you indicated.
Highly doubtful that RedSea has sold 10 of thousands of tanks world wide. A few thousand maybe. I built and sold reef tanks and represented for other companies for more than 20 years. That volume is very unlikely given the size of the aquarium industry. Aqueon, LeeMar, All Glass, Tenecor, Clear For Life, TruVue, Planet Aquariums and other manufacturers likely run circles around RedSea for volume over the years. Yet these high end tanks seem to have a large failure rate given the high cost. I love the way they look but I will never place one in my house...cause I can build my own acrylic!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you share the data? Because a quick search on this forum seems to skew very heavily to Red Sea.
Use the R2R search function - search for 'Tank Leaks'. You will get your information

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Highly doubtful that RedSea has sold 10 of thousands of tanks world wide. A few thousand maybe. I built and sold reef tanks and represented for other companies for more than 20 years. That volume is very unlikely given the size of the aquarium industry. Aqueon, LeeMar, All Glass, Tenecor, Clear For Life, TruVue, Planet Aquariums and other manufacturers likely run circles around RedSea for volume over the years. Yet these high end tanks seem to have a large failure rate given the high cost. I love the way they look but I will never place one in my house...cause I can build my own acrylic!
One thing that I did not know - is that the 'expectation' is that many tanks fail after x years. (in general) - However - I think you're incorrect - if you look at large tanks - especially reef systems - my comment would be redsea is the leading manufacturer. Of course - there are 100 10 gallon tanks sold for every 1 100 gallon tank. I do not think Planet Aquariums 'run circles around Redsea'. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/brs360-episode-9-tank-manufacturer

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I have an emergency and cannot really believe this is happening to me again. Back in 2019 I purchased what I thought was a wonderful tank! Everything was going great with my Red Sea 525 XL until it started leaking from one of the sides in 2020. Of course, I lost livestock and suffered some damages caused by the water. After reaching out, Red Sea agreed to change my tank and sent me a “new one“ under the limited warranty. Fast forward to last Friday 4/21/23 at 4:00 AM and my tank was leaking AGAIN! This time, the leak was from the bottom and the tank dumped all the water out in less than 2 minutes. I was able to save all my fish and transfer them to the sump. The corals I had were then placed in a small Waterbox tank. This is the second time in less thank 5 years that my tank fails on me. I do not scrape the edge, I do not go crazy cleaning, my stand and tank are perfectly leveled, etc. My questions are:

Is this a common issue with this tanks? I see tons of posts and a local guy told me the brand is prone to issues with the side and bottom silicone.

What brand do you guys recommend? I am between Innovative Marine and WaterBox, but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!

CADE

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet 90% of the new build threads here are Red Sea....go figure....things that make you go hhmmm...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always the same couple people in every thread defending Red Sea lol. You know they’re probably sweating wondering when theirs will fail. Even though they’re here to ‘ma lady’ for Red Sea at every hint of a thread complaining about them.
And the same few detractors too

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Red Sea can not be trusted ! I’m sorry… I had SCA blow out 1 month ago at 2 am!

I went with Advanced Acrylics in LA California and never looked back

OP
OP
fpizart

fpizart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea can not be trusted ! I’m sorry… I had SCA blow out 1 month ago at 2 am!

I went with Advanced Acrylics in LA California and never looked back
I am really entertaining that idea as well! Back in the day they used to be easily scratched and were not as clear. Has the technology changed?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I did not know - is that the 'expectation' is that many tanks fail after x years. (in general) - However - I think you're incorrect - if you look at large tanks - especially reef systems - my comment would be redsea is the leading manufacturer. Of course - there are 100 10 gallon tanks sold for every 1 100 gallon tank. I do not think Planet Aquariums 'run circles around Redsea'. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/brs360-episode-9-tank-manufacturer
I know you are data driven so you should not trust the manufacturer to provide accurate data. That is akin to trusting the tobacco industry to tell you smoking is healthful! Does the manufacturer give numbers of systems sold worldwide? If so you could extrapolate some data just from the incident of failure on R2R alone. Just seems unreasonably high. I saw one fail at a local pet store years ago when they were first available. The store was a good customer of mine and sold more acrylic than Red Sea by a long shot. SeaClear, TruVue, Tenecor, All Glass, and Lee Mar ran the board on the west coast for more than 20 years. My company was more regional to the Northwest and we delivered way less than 10,000 tanks in more than 20 years. I was active in national trade shows each year for more than a decade so I was exposed to the majority of product mafacturers and distributors both nationally and internationally through those shows.

I know you have a dog in the race so I am sure your experience gives you a bias just as mine does!

Their website claimes to be in over 100,000 thousand homes worldwide but does not say that is their tanks. It could include salts and other additives but not tanks. Advertising is not data.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am really entertaining that idea as well! Back in the day they used to be easily scratched and were not as clear. Has the technology changed?
I have ordered from them - I like them as a company - I will say there are multiple unhappy people on this (older) thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/advanced-acrylics-whats-going-on.652712/. I.e. every company has people with positive and negative 'reviews'. I own 2 RedSea large tanks. I have never had a problem with either one - and I retrofitted my stand with their recommended 'fix'. Over the years I've been doing this, I think I've seen every brand of tank have issues. There are at least 5 LFS in our area - and all of them have a RedSea tank set up as their 'display tank'. I'm also not sure what percent of the market share they have - BUT - when I recently looked for a new tank, many companies do not make the sizes that RedSea does. So - I wonder if Redsea has more of the 'large tank' market.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know you are data driven so you should not trust the manufacturer to provide accurate data. That is akin to trusting the tobacco industry to tell you smoking is healthful! Does the manufacturer give numbers of systems sold worldwide? If so you could extrapolate some data just from the incident of failure on R2R alone. Just seems unreasonably high. I saw one fail at a local pet store years ago when they were first available. The store was a good customer of mine and sold more acrylic than Red Sea by a long shot. SeaClear, TruVue, Tenecor, All Glass, and Lee Mar ran the board on the west coast for more than 20 years. My company was more regional to the Northwest and we delivered way less than 10,000 tanks in more than 20 years. I was active in national trade shows each year for more than a decade so I was exposed to the majority of product mafacturers and distributors both nationally and internationally through those shows.

I know you have a dog in the race so I am sure your experience gives you a bias just as mine does!
Actually - I don't have a dog in the race, per se. I own a tank, and have had no problems. If it had had a problem - I would have reported it. You're right, it's hard to get hard data - but that goes both ways. However, I do trust when the company says they have 100K+ tanks sold worldwide, and I also believe it when they say they have 79K members on their Facebook page and 75K likes. Waterbox has 22K members on their page, and Planet Aquariums has about 12K likes. I would assume that most of the people who are followers or liked the company(ies) are positive on the company.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back