Red slime algae

ShyShy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too long ago, I completely rid my tank of a cyano problem I've had for a year. I started doing 20% water changes every week, bumped up my flow, turkey basted my rocks and sand while syphoning, and turkey basted every day between water changes. I didn't have my GFO or carbon reactors at the time, so I put a few bags of ChemiPure Elite in my filter sock.

Other factors that possibly helped:
-Added a pink and black sea cuke
-Added more snails
-Added 1500 amphipods to my display and my sump. The wrasse loved that one.
-Changed my 200 micron filter sock every other day (I was doing this while I still had a cyano problem, but it helped to physically remove large cyano clumps from the water column after I started turkey basting.)
-I turkey basted at peek lighting hours when the cyano was thickest then changed socks right after.

From the beginning of my new maintenance routine to the end of my cyano problem was about 3 weeks. I have since relaxed on my cleaning habits with no return of the cyano.

Last edited:

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also with a 110 you may need more than one circulation pump to avoid dead spots that's probably what is causing it to form on the bottom. increase flow and do a water change and suck out as much as you can.
+1

I have four powerheads plus my return pump in my 108G

Flow>lights as far as importance

FFKiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you upgrade lighting, you will almost ALWAYS have algae growth with the stronger light. You have to bring up the light levels very slowly. As far as it already happening, it will fade eventually with good husbandry. Also, you might want to start dosing NoPox, and turn your whites down low until the algae disappears.

And as far as red slime algae, a round of Chemiclean wouldn't hurt =)

Back