Red slime persistence

  • Thread starter Thread starter adamsfour
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

adamsfour

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2019
Messages
284
Reaction score
122
Location
Leesburg
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling red slime for months. Pattern the same. Slow build up. Then do a treatment with chemiclean. After treatment red slime gone for 3-4 months and pattern repeat. Clearly not finding the source. I have tried to raise/lower phosphate and nitrate with no change. More of a nuisance than a problem. Any ideas of sources or how to rid of.
 
Organics are a prime driver of cyano, not inorganic nutrients.

The usual recommendations are manual removal, increased flow, and reducing organics (skimming, GAC, purigen, water changes, etc.)
 
There is no info on your system, but decreasing dissolved organics and increasing the flow are generally 2 good starts.
 
Do you dose amino acids? If you do, I would reduce or stop it. I've found that dosing amino acids (AB+) has really made cyano show up in my system.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new