Red Turf algae possilbe solution

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I want to take a few minutes to discuss my battle with red turf algae. First, I am talking about Giladrea, the wirey super tuff reg algae tha therbivores generally do not eat. I have had several battle aganst it with mixed results. Here is how my situation began.
Last summer I notied that I had a little bit of it. I immediately took action becaue I know how nasty the stuff is. I had a laser for aptasia and started buning any areas I saw that had the stuff. This was a drop in teh oean. It quickly took hold and started spreading. I had heard that turbos would eat it if you got the right ones. I started a quest to find these turbos. After many attempts I did eventually fond some that took it down. However they do not eliminate it from teh tank and it basically just waits until it has another oppertunity to come back. I had to leave for 6 weeks this summer and tha twas its opprtunity. My tank was being cared for but as we all know no one does it like you can. So teh nitrates and phos spiked and it took over.
In addition to red turf I also got dinos which made quick work of my snails. However, this may have offered a possible solution. When I returned i added a biopellet reactor and a UV. This definitely slowed it down. However, I was still losing. To combat teh Dino's I started dosing H2O2 at 1 ml per 10 gal of tank water. THis is where the possible solution comes into play. I have now been doing this for a week and I am noticing teh algae is hurting. All my corals and fish seem just fine. The algae definitely has quit growing and may be on the retreat. It is starting to turn a lighter red and my CUC is getting after it. I will keep this thread updated with progress.

dlterry85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red turf algea is the bane of my existence!!
I also tried turbos...fail.
I even removed the smaller rocks and took a blow torch to the stuff...fail.
I tried using aiptasia x on it as i read that it worked for some...fail.
I even tried dosing straight hydrogen peroxide on it, by removing the rock and pouring it over the nasty red stuff... still failed.
Keep us (me) updated.
I have read that this stuff likes high light and high water flow, so it is **** near impossible to eradicate.
Good Luck.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back