Red turf algae?

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few of these Trochus snails in my tank for a few months and I believe they have red turf algae growing on them?

It doesn’t look like it has spread anywhere but I would like to get rid of it before it becomes a problem.

This pic was taken about an hour after I took the snails out and scrubbed their shells with undiluted 3% hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush. It seems to have had no effect which worries me.

How do you kill this stuff?
IMG_1702.jpeg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the snail that you had/have? Just want to be sure I’m getting the right snail.
IMG_1704.jpeg
Yep, pretty sure. Not home right now but give me an hour or so and I'll check order history to verify for you.

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crown snails keep mine in check. It will not go away. I have bleached rock, used every suggestion on here, spent untold amounts of $ on clean up crews. Learn to live with it.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the snail that you had/have? Just want to be sure I’m getting the right snail.
IMG_1704.jpeg
Yep those are the ones. I was hunting for a photo of the old patch in my old tank but I can't find it. They eradicated it 100% though and I never had an issue again when they were done.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few of these Trochus snails in my tank for a few months and I believe they have red turf algae growing on them?

It doesn’t look like it has spread anywhere but I would like to get rid of it before it becomes a problem.

This pic was taken about an hour after I took the snails out and scrubbed their shells with undiluted 3% hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush. It seems to have had no effect which worries me.

How do you kill this stuff?
IMG_1702.jpeg
If it hasn't spread it would be safer to just give the snails back to the LFS and get the Turbos that have been identified to keep it out if it does show up. Interesting looking algae, btw.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back