Red turf algae :-(

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve starywd to see some red turf algae popping up in my tank recently and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of any products that would help take care of it. I don’t want to go the animal route because my tank is small, so most critters won’t fit, and other critters might topple over my rockwork. I’ve heard people say that fluconzole worked for them, but I’ve heard the complete opposite as well. Ive also heard people say target attack with hydrogen peroxide. Also I can’t do anything crazy like nuke the rock, because I have zoas all over them. The picture I took looks pretty bad, but the algae isn’t in many other spots, and if it is it’s really minimal. Just trying to catch the outbreak early. I’ve been dosing vibrant for a few months now for a bubble algae outbreak, and it worked fantastically, but it hasn’t touched the turf. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Will_WhatIsThis

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol almost forgot the picture
B0892D99-28D6-4F90-95CB-6533FCB4D6D1.jpeg

punziracing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I tried the peroxide after scraping the red turf off my HOB filter and it came right back. There has to be something that works....anyone?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also fighting this battle, mine is on the overflow box so I can't really pull the effected part out to handle it. I read on another forum that mexican turbo snails worked so I just added 4 of them last week. I also read urchins are helpful, so I popped one of them in but it's more focused on my coralline infestation.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbo snails, i just put 3 in my 10g nano yesterday and they went straight for it, it was amazing!

This gives me hope! Mine hang out there but don't seem to be making a difference yet, it's a pretty thick mat though

punziracing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me hope! Mine hang out there but don't seem to be making a difference yet, it's a pretty thick mat though

I don't know if its hit or miss with these guys because you hear conflicting reports but my three are having at it, the whole left side of the weir was covered and within 24hr its just about gone.

Good Luck!

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if its hit or miss with these guys because you hear conflicting reports but my three are having at it, the whole left side of the weir was covered and within 24hr its just about gone.

Good Luck!

They must have sensed us talking about them --- they cleared about half of it while I was at work today! I noticed it walking by the tank with the lights off when I got home, that's how much it stood out!

punziracing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must have sensed us talking about them --- they cleared about half of it while I was at work today! I noticed it walking by the tank with the lights off when I got home, that's how much it stood out!

Awesome, i found one of mine having a midnight snack last night, thank mother nature for the Mexican turbo snails!!! the natural way to keep RTA in check!

IMG_2378 RT.JPG

Nano143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my turbos keep my RTA in check, but it never really goes away. Grows right back. The only thing that really works is pulling the rock out if possible and use a lighter to carefully burn the red turf off. It there's coral on the rock you have to just burn around it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back