REDSEA Phosphate Pro Instruction Discrepancy

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a REDSEA Algae Control Pro Multi Test Kit for NO3 / PO4. It contains the wheels for comparison of two vials, one with plain sea water from your tank and one with the added test chemicals. For the PO4 (Phosphate) test, the instructions indicate Reagent A = 13 drops. The bottle says Reagent A = 10 drops and previous instructions from a previous REDSEA PO4 Pro Test Kit I have also indicated Reagent A = 10 drops. I am going to assume PO4 Reagent A = 10 drops. I have not contacted REDSEA, but I have searched the Internet thoroughly and have only discovered an old video from REDSEA from 2013 for the PO4 (non-Pro) Test Kit. That video lasts for 3:28.
I have not contacted REDSEA. Has anyone else seen this discrepancy in the documentation? Thank you. JL

87CB8A47-0484-460F-81BC-8EAF652FB585.jpeg CA0E0F89-2261-4AAB-8455-3A1636F6CCF0.jpeg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of this before. My (pretty old) kit says 10 drops. I'd contact Red Sea to confirm, but seems like the bottle label would be more trustworthy than the instruction sheet (they may be planning to dilute the drop concentration and accidentally included the new instruction sheet with the old drops).

Upvote 0

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My po4 pro replacement reagents say 10 on the bottle and came with a dropper to add 4 drops of B now. They also came with a new color wheel. No new written instructions though.
they’re about 6 months old now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of this before. My (pretty old) kit says 10 drops. I'd contact Red Sea to confirm, but seems like the bottle label would be more trustworthy than the instruction sheet (they may be planning to dilute the drop concentration and accidentally included the new instruction sheet with the old drops).
Thanks. I agree with you. I have seen another error in their instructions where they say, “...shake gently for 5 minutes...” in the little booklet and “...shake gently for 15 seconds...” everywhere else like on the enclosed cards.
I wish I knew more about chemistry and understood what chemicals are used to test for Phosphate and how 2 drops in the non-Pro version determines results like 0/0.1/0.2/0.4/0.6/1 and 4 smaller drops in the Pro version from something that looks just like the 2 drops in the non-Pro version gives results like 0.0/0.01/0.02/0.04/0.08/0.12/0.16
using the same amount (17 ml) of seawater from your tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it come with the little quick reference card? I usually follow that and it says 10 drops along with the directions in the booklet. My kit is about a year old. Haven't used it much since getting the Hanna ULR checker.
Yes, the card says 10 drops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My po4 pro replacement reagents say 10 on the bottle and came with a dropper to add 4 drops of B now. They also came with a new color wheel. No new written instructions though.
they’re about 6 months old now.
Mine too. As I questioned in my post above, how does one test for the more granular amounts = 0.01/0.02/0.03/0.04 and the non-Pro version test for = 1/2/4/6 using the same amount of tank seawater (17ml) and 4 tiny drops from a Pipette or 2 drops from a squeeze bottle of what looks exactly like the same stuff? It’s gotta be a different dilution of the same stuff? The non-Pro version uses the card and the Pro version uses the comparison wheel.

B63E5C33-FE95-4DEC-92F2-9D07C05113A4.jpeg

Upvote 0

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I agree with you. I have seen another error in their instructions where they say, “...shake gently for 5 minutes...” in the little booklet and “...shake gently for 15 seconds...” everywhere else like on the enclosed cards.
I wish I knew more about chemistry and understood what chemicals are used to test for Phosphate and how 2 drops in the non-Pro version determines results like 0/0.1/0.2/0.4/0.6/1 and 4 smaller drops in the Pro version from something that looks just like the 2 drops in the non-Pro version gives results like 0.0/0.01/0.02/0.04/0.08/0.12/0.16
using the same amount (17 ml) of seawater from your tank.
The kits uses different chemicals according to the MSDSs,which I found on their website.
The pro uses 25% sulfuric acid with ammonium molybdonate as A and B is green color with a 50-50 mix of ethanol and water.

the regular test adds <1% picric acid to A and uses 5% tin chloride dihydrate as B

so likely the granularity differences are differences between the 2 methods.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kits uses different chemicals according to the MSDSs,which I found on their website.
The pro uses 25% sulfuric acid with ammonium molybdonate as A and B is green color with a 50-50 mix of ethanol and water.

the regular test adds <1% picric acid to A and uses 5% tin chloride dihydrate as B

The only difference in the bottles is one says ‘Pro’ on it.
I need to be super careful to not mix them up Yikes!
Thank you for the info. Very detailed and it appears to explain it which is totally awesome! Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I ask you what was your search criteria you used to find this info? Thx!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask you what was your search criteria you used to find this info? Thx!
FYI...this is the video for the Pro Phosphate test and they are using the 2 drops from the squeeze bottle.

See why it is confusing? The non-Pro Phosphate test kit uses the 2 drops from the squeeze bottle. This guy is illustrating the REDSEA Pro Phosphate Test Kit instructions via video using 2 drops from the Reagent B bottle.
The bottles have dates on them. My non-pro Phosphate Test Kit date = 0221. The date on my Pro Phosphate Test Kit = 1221.
Sorry to belabor this point...I just want to point this out how confusing this really is...

Upvote 0

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The red sea was the last test kit I used for pi4..
Was 10 drops couple of years ago...

Even used properly, I had a hard time with it ..

Switched to the Milwaukee mi412 low range phosphate checker......
Best move ever...consistent, easy. Accuracy

Upvote 0

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am not suggesting that folks deviate from instructions, I will note that in many kits, including phosphate kits, many of the reagents are present in excess, and having a somewhat larger or smaller excess won't appreciably impact the results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea was the last test kit I used for pi4..
Was 10 drops couple of years ago...

Even used properly, I had a hard time with it ..

Switched to the Milwaukee mi412 low range phosphate checker......
Best move ever...consistent, easy. Accuracy
Interesting, I’ve never seen it, but I’ll look. Since my tank is a REDSEA, I have gravitated towards REDSEA stuff and am relatively happy with most of it. I have all of their test kits and I have all of the ELOS test kits. When I suspect something is amiss, I’ll retest and if it still seems strange, I’ll test using the ELOS. Provides a good check & balance. However, the ELOS Mg test kit is a total nightmare. Almost takes more time than it’s worth. I also have the Hanna Salinity and Calcium digital versions. I use those when I am mixing salt and to be quick. I always follow up with my refractometer and the Ca test kit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am not suggesting that folks deviate from instructions, I will note that in many kits, including phosphate kits, many of the reagents are present in excess, and having a somewhat larger or smaller excess won't appreciably impact the results.
I wondered how accurate I needed to be or how accurate each of those drops from the bottles are. Good to know that there is a little wiggle room.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back